Virtual Christmas Events

This season, Christmas is available through online events. (Nathan Davis / Daily Titan)

This year’s holiday season may be unconventional, but that does not mean that the holiday spirit and festivities have to stop.  

With the holidays quickly approaching and the pandemic still raging, people are looking for safe ways to spend their holidays. There are several virtual events happening in Orange County this season that are sure to spread holiday cheer.

Not only will these events brighten up your holiday, but attending them supports local establishments during a time when many of them have been forced to close. 

Here are six virtual events happening in Orange County during the holidays that are sure to liven up your winter season:

South Coast Repertory —“A Christmas Carol”

Through Jan. 3, the South Coast Repertory will host their adaptation of “A Christmas Carol,” which is available to stream from their website. 

The show features Jefferson Mays, a Tony Award winner, playing over 50 roles in this one-man show.  

The production is 91 minutes long, and the total price for a ticket is $57.50. Once purchased, “A Christmas Carol” can be viewed an unlimited amount of times within 24 hours after the opening of the show.

Huntington Academy of Dance — “The Nutcracker: A Pandemic Tale"

Ballet Etudes at Huntington Academy of Dance is having their 23rd annual performance of “The Nutcracker.”  This year, the play will be performed for a virtual audience. The performance will feature a new and unique storyline that takes on the current climate of the pandemic.  

The main character, Clara, contracts the Russian flu and is forced to cancel her annual Christmas Eve party as she begins to quarantine in her home. Watch the show to see how she reignites her holiday spirit.

The performance will be livestreamed several times throughout December and costs $25 to virtually attend.

Aquarium of the Pacific — Aquarium Holidays 

The Aquarium of the Pacific is holding several virtual holiday events this year. On Dec. 13, the aquarium will hold a virtual Hanukkah event where Hanukkah music and stories will be shared, and guests will be treated to a performance by an Aquarium Pacific Pals puppet. 

On Dec. 26, the aquarium will host a virtual Kwanzaa celebration with Baba the Storyteller teaching the practices and principles of Kwanzaa. The show will also feature an appearance by an Aquarium Pacific Pals puppet.

Both of these events are free to livestream and will be available to watch on demand afterwards. 

Coast City Ballet — “The Nutcracker”

Those looking for a performance of “The Nutcracker”that aligns more closely to the original will enjoy Coast City Ballet’s rendition of the show. This is their 17th annual performance, and they are offering it virtually this year. 

This year’s performances can be livestreamed on Dec. 20 and 23, and it costs $30 to virtually attend. 

Laguna Playhouse — “Yes, Virginia”

Laguna Playhouse is showing an original production this year. “Yes, Virginia” is a new holiday comedy following two older women as they try to navigate life in suburban Detroit. 

The cast features “iCarly”actress Mindy Sterling and “Dreamgirls”star Arnetia Walker as the sole performers. 

The show is available to livestream on Dec. 17 and  will also be available to watch on demand for 96 hours after the premiere date. A ticket to the livestream or on demand version is $20, but for $30 you can watch the show and attend a “talkback” with the creative team who organized the show.

Musco Center & Carpenter Performing Arts Center — “Noche Buena — Christmas Eve in Mexico”

On Dec. 17 and 19, the Musco Center and Carpenter Performing Arts Center will have “Noche Buena – Christmas Eve in Mexico,” a concert featuring performances from Ballet Folklórico de Los Ángeles and Mariachi Garibaldi de Jaime Cuéllar.

Before the event begins at 7 p.m., Kareli Montoya and Jimmy K. Cuéllar, the directors behind the performance, will be hosting a live Q&A at 6:30 p.m.  

Tickets to watch the show live are free and automatically include access to the Q&A with the directors. 

With a unique holiday season coming up after a hectic year, these events are sure to liven your holidays, and they can be enjoyed from the comfort and safety of your own home.