Movies&TV Photo Illo.

Photo illustration by Darius Johari

Since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic the movie industry has had to adapt to the ever-changing regulations and guidelines outlined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It’s safe to assume that the moviegoing experience will remain in this hybrid format of limited theater releases and movie releases on streaming services. 

To prepare for that, here are six movie and TV show releases to look forward to in August and September.

TV Shows:

“Q-Force”

“Q-Force” is an upcoming Netflix animated series created by Gabe Liedman (“Brooklyn Nine-Nine” and “Kroll Show”), Michael Schur (“The Office” and “Parks and Recreation”) and Sean Hayes (“Will & Grace”). 

The show centers on Steve Maryweather, aka Agent Mary, a gay secret agent who is sent to West Hollywood by the American Intelligence Agency. He puts together a misfit squad of LGBTQ spies as they try to prove themselves worthy to the agency. 

The show enlists a number of LGBTQ talents including Sean Hayes, Patti Harrison, Wanda Sykes and Matt Rogers.

Netflix ordered 10 episodes of “Q-Force” with Season 1 premiering on Sept. 2.

“The Premise” 

Actor, writer and director B.J. Novak, known for his role in “The Office,” joins the FX network to bring viewers a new anthology series called “The Premise.” Based on the synopsis from FX, the show is “a bold and provocative half-hour anthology of standalone stories about the times we live in.”

“The Premise” has a star-studded cast including Ben Platt, Tracee Ellis Ross, Daniel Dae Kim, Jon Bernthal, O’Shea Jackson Jr. and more. 

The series debuts exclusively on FX on Hulu beginning Thursday, Sept. 16.

“Star Wars: Visions”

Disney and Lucasfilms take a leap of faith bringing viewers a new take on the beloved “Star Wars” universe with the upcoming anime anthology “Star Wars: Visions.” The series will include Japanese and English versions with well-known Japanese and English voice actors. 

“Star Wars: Visions” premieres on Disney+ on Friday, Sept. 22.

Movies:

“Candyman”

Oscar-winning director, producer and former actor Jordan Peele, known for his thrillers like “Get Out” and “Us,” works with director Nia DaCosta for the upcoming horror/thriller “Candyman.” 

The movie follows the 1992 movie of the same name and is based on the short story “The Forbidden,” by Clive Barker. Tony Todd reprises his role as Daniel Robitaille, aka Candyman, with stars Yahya Abdul-Mateen II as Anthony McCoy, Teyonah Parris as Brianna Cartwright and Nathan Stewart-Jarrett as Troy Cartwright. 

After some delays, this long-awaited reboot is set to release in theaters on Friday, Aug. 27.

“Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings”

Marvel Studios has continued to dominate the streaming market with their shows on Disney+ and superhero movie releases but has since faced challenges due to the pandemic. The studio has tried to adjust by providing Premier Access to Disney+ subscribers with its release of “Black Widow.” 

“Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings,” the next film in the Marvel cinematic universe, will be the first exclusive theatrical release in over two years from the studios. 

The film follows martial-arts master Shang-Chi as he confronts his past with the mysterious Ten Rings organization. Awkwafina, Meng’er Zhang, Fala Chen, Benedict Wong and Ben Kingsley are among the film’s stars alongside Simu Liu.  

It is set to release in theaters on Friday, Sept. 3, and will have a 45-day cinematic run before it is released on Disney+ on Monday, Oct. 18.

“Prisoners of the Ghostland”

If you are a fan of Nicholas Cage’s over-the-top acting and experimental cinema art styles, then you might already be hyped for “Prisoners of the Ghostland.” Sion Sono's film is an insane mash-up of post-apocalyptic, samurai and action elements.

Cage is a ruthless bank robber in Samurai Town who is called on by a wealthy warlord to rescue an abducted girl who has disappeared in Ghostland. Alongside Cage is Sofia Boutella, Bill Mosley and Nick Cassavetes. 

“Prisoners of the Ghostland” is set to release in theatres on Friday, Sept. 17.