Black History Month

Cal State Fullerton's Black History Month celebrations will be hosted via virtual platforms. (Isaias Ruelas / Daily Titan)

Since 1976, Black History Month has been a time to highlight the Black community, and Cal State Fullerton organizations have prepared for a month of celebrations that aim to unite, empower and educate Titans. 

Although students may be behind their computer screens, the purpose of the month will not be forgotten as this year’s programming goes virtual. All events will be hosted online via platforms such as Zoom, Discord and Instagram Live.

Angela Davis Tried To Warn Us: Friday, 2-3:30 p.m.

In 1972, activist Angela Davis rocked an audience of CSUF students with her speech about social inequality and racism. Nearly 50 years later, her words still ring true. 

This Zoom seminar is a continuation of the same lecture Davis gave in 1972. Event attendees will watch the footage of Davis’ original speech and participate in a discussion with Dr. Mei-Ling Malone, a lecturer from the African American Studies department, and co-moderator Darius Faulk, a columnist for Tusk Magazine’s Black Voices. 

This event will be hosted via Zoom and the link can be found on the African American Resource Center’s website. 

Titan Table Talks- Black History Month: Feb. 16, 11:30 a.m. - 1 p.m.

Instituted in fall 2020, Titan Table Talks celebrates different cultural groups within the Titan community. These talks aim to educate participants about different aspects of various cultural communities.  This talk will feature panelists who will speak about their experiences as members of the Black community.

Students can register by visiting the African American Resource Center’s website and clicking the title of the event. 

Let’s Talk About Sex: Feb. 17, 1-2 p.m.

This event is a break down of stigmas, issues and other ideas tied to sex within the Black community. The talk will take place via the African American Resource Center’s Discord channel, which is linked on the center’s website.

Drop the Mic featuring poet Kyla Jenée Lacey: Wednesday Feb. 17, 6-7 p.m.

CSUF’s Associated Students is back with another installment of its series, “Drop the Mic,” but this special event is focused exclusively on Black history. 

Poet Kyla Jenée Lacey will perform spoken word poetry. Attendees can find the show on ASI’s YouTube channel. 

Black Foods Showcase: Feb. 18, 12-1 p.m.

Natalie Graham, an associate professor and department chair for the African American Studies department, will lecture on the importance and significance of food within African American culture. Her presentation will be followed by a recipe showcase.

This event will take place on the African American Resource Center’s Instagram Live.  

The Freedom of Our Hair: Feb. 22, 3-4 p.m.

Gwendolyn Alexis, an African American Studies lecturer, will speak about the transformation of Black hair throughout history, as well as discussing the freedom people have to wear their hair in any style they choose. 

This event will be hosted via Zoom and the link can be found on African American Resource Center’s website.  

Who Gets To Tell Our Stories: NABJ President Tre’vell Anderson on Black Voices in the Media: Feb. 24, 3-4 p.m.

Tre’vell Anderson, former LA Times film reporter and president of the National Association of Black Journalists — Los Angeles, will lead a discussion on the impact of Black stories in the media and the voices that tell them. 

Other topics include media narratives and positive messages to inspire change. This event is co-moderated by CSUF’s chapter of the National Association of Black Journalists.

Between Roots and Routes: Strategies for Researching African Diasporic Family Histories and the Power of Place: Feb. 25, 4-6 p.m.

This is an informational event to give the tools and strategies needed to trace African Diasporic history in the United States. According to the U.S. National Library of Medicine, African Diaspora refers to the global communities resulting from the trans-Atlantic slave trade. It will touch on many topics such as genealogy and research methods to assist people in tracing their lineage.

Students can visit eventbrite.com to register.