Chris Chuyen Vo

Chris Chuyen Vo's arraignment is set for April 20 at the Santa Ana Central Justice Center. (Jonathan Phan / Daily Titan)

The arraignment for Chris Chuyen Vo, a former Cal State Fullerton employee, was rescheduled to May 21.

Vo’s is charged on counts of personally using a deadly weapon and special circumstance in murder by means of lying in wait.

Judge Sheila Hanson presided over the court at the Santa Ana Central Justice Center. Vo was present and his attorney, T. Edward Welbourn, from the Corrigan Welbourn and Stokke law firm, reported via video call.

In Aug. 2019, Steven Shek Keung Chan, a former CSUF employee, was fatally stabbed in the College Park parking lot, which led to Vo’s arrest in his Huntington Beach residence.

During Vo’s preliminary hearing earlier this month, Whitney Bokosky, a senior deputy district attorney alleged that Vo committed murder to avoid being caught for embezzlement.

Vo worked in finance for the Student Services and International Programs department at the university and Chan, who had retired in 2017, returned in 2019 as a consultant for a financial audit of Vo’s department.

Brian Young, a senior forensic accountant at the DA’s office, said that just over $200,000 was transferred to David Parker Educational Services — one of the three personal accounts Vo managed under JPMorgan & Co. bank, from Dec. 2017 up until before Vo’s arrest in Aug. 2019.

The charge of murder by means of lying in wait comes after surveillance footage captured an assailant, suspected to be Vo, is seen waiting for Chan to arrive, said Peter Ryu, a detective on the Fullerton Police Department’s Hi-Tech Crimes unit.

Ryu said that Vo was sitting on the grass, on the west side of the business complex on Langsdorf street, facing the College Park building for 46 minutes.

When Chan’s vehicle appears on surveillance and turns into the College Park parking lot, Vo is seen walking towards the car's direction and about two to three minutes later, Vo is seen running towards the business complex, Ryu added.

Vo is currently being held without bail at the Theo Lacy Facility, a maximum security jail complex in Orange.