CSUF library

Once students sign up, tuition fee for summer courses will be determined depending on the pursued program. (Isaias Ruelas / Daily Titan)

The Cal State Fullerton Extension and International Programs, which runs the summer and winter sessions, announced a new structure for tuition fees concerning summer 2021.

In previous years, summer session tuition was charged based on either part-time enrollment, for students taking up to six units, or full-time enrollment, for seven or more units. This summer, students will either pay a per-unit tuition rate or the part-time and full-time flat tuition option, depending on the degree program.

When students enroll for the summer session, the tuition fee for summer courses will be determined depending on the pursued program, which will fall under two different tuition fee categories: the Self-Support or the State-Support Programs.

In an email to the Daily Titan, Debbie Vengco, the associate director in marketing and communications for the Extension and International Programs, said that many CSUF students utilize the summer session. But, the part-time and full-time option is less relevant to winter and summer than during the fall or spring semesters.

“Across the CSU, self-support summer session tuition is offered on a per-unit basis and this flexibility and increased accessibility is the reason for the change,” Vengco said.

The programs listed as “State Support” will be charged the part-time and full-time tuition rates.

Programs such as the Education Doctorate Program, Geology 481A, Nursing — all majors including Doctor of Nursing Practice — and most masters programs fall under the category State Support Program.

A list of State -Support tuition fees can be found online with a breakdown of the various programs.

Courses and programs not included under the State Support category will be considered Self-Support programs and charged the per-unit tuition rate.

The charges per unit will be $320 for the undergraduate program, $330 for the credential program and $360 for the graduate program.

Additionally, all students enrolled in summer courses will be required to pay a campus-based fee of $252.50.

Undergraduate students who take three units during the summer session under the Self-Support programs will pay $960, and, if applicable, any additional non-resident tuition fees, professional program fees or campus-based fees.

For those who are only taking three units, the price has decreased compared to last year’s undergraduate cost, which totaled up to $1,665 for three units.

On the other hand, students who take more than three units under the Self-Support programs will pay higher tuition rates than last year’s fixed rates. Undergraduate students who take six units will pay $1,920, an increase compared to last year’s undergraduate rate of $1,665 for six units.

Despite the tuition increase, students such as Esther Ricardo, a first-year kinesiology major, said she plans to take two classes during the summer session.

“I am only taking two classes due to the price,” Ricardo said. “This is going to be my first-time taking summer classes, however, I did see how much winter classes cost. I ended up not taking any winter classes because I saw that my FAFSA only covered my fall and spring semesters.”

Vengco said the summer and winter sessions are predominantly self-supported operations, and the change to per-unit tuition is for the summer session only. The winter session tuition has always been charged per unit.

Amber Chitty Wilson, internship coordinator for the communications department, said that internship courses are offered during fall, spring and summer sessions in order to give students the option to receive credit.

With the new self-support per unit option, undergraduate students who take the three-unit internship class during the summer will receive credit at a lower price than previous years.

“Some students prefer to do an internship during the summer session so they can devote 100% of their attention to immersing themselves in the role,” Wilson said. “For these students, the new per unit fee structure will make that option more affordable.”