Elevator certificate

Elevator inspections have been delayed due to COVID-19. (Christiani Aquino / Daily Titan)

From the Pollak Library to the parking structure areas, some of Cal State Fullerton elevators have expired safety certificates. Beth Moody, operations and communication specialist for the Capital Programs and Facilities Management (CPFM), stated that the reason for the expired certificates is due to COVID-19.

Before the pandemic, inspections of elevators on campus occurred annually. However, due to COVID-19 elevator inspections have been delayed at a county level, which has led to a 24 to 36 month setback, Moody said.

The California Department of Industrial Relations under the Division of Occupational Safety and Health, also known as Cal/Osha, requires that all in-service elevators post a certificate.

Moody explained that the CSUF campus will have expired permits until the county can properly inspect and issue the updated permits.

The CSUF CPFM said it is working diligently to keep the campus safety up to code through TK Elevators, a third party vendor for on-site routine preventative maintenance, while awaiting for the county's backlog to arrive for proper inspection.