Frammy Boy

With the fall semester set to begin in nearly a month, Cal State Fullerton announced its fall semester plan with the approval from the Cal State University chancellor’s office. 

“The health and safety of all Titans and the continuity of high quality education with an unobstructed pass to degree are at the heart of this plan,” said Fram Virjee, the president of CSUF, in a video sent to all students on Thursday morning. “The plan includes information on health screening, personal protective equipment, physical distancing, enhanced cleaning efforts and other practices designed to preserve the health and safety of the small percentage of Titans who return to the physical campus this fall.”

The university has a six-phase reentry plan, beginning with the cleaning and preparation of campus facilities for the semester. On Thursday evening, the chief communications officer Ellen Treanor said that Cal State Fullerton is now entering phase two, which is the return of additional personnel.

Stage three of the plan will begin at the start of the fall semester, where an estimated 4,458 students are set to return to campus for the 239 on-campus courses.

When the semester starts, everyone who steps foot on campus must wear a mask or cloth face covering, as it is required in California. Masks will be provided to all university employees, and if a student forgets to bring a face mask, they can get one at the Environmental Health and Safety office, which is located south of Lot A off of State College Boulevard.

All buildings on campus will have hand sanitizing stations at their entrances, and along with each room, will have signs to indicate which way to enter and exit. To ensure social distancing, desks and seating will be spaced out at least six feet apart, and seats in lecture halls may be either taped off or removed. 

Each classroom will be cleaned at the conclusion of every class. In addition to the custodial staff, there will be staff who are dedicated to cleaning waiting areas and frequently touched surfaces, objects and counters.   

The decision to have 239 classes held on campus was made by the university provost, college deans and faculty members. They said they believed the classes would not be effective if they were held virtually, which then received approval from the chancellor’s office. The majority of classes include clinical labs in the College of Health and Human Development, STEM lab courses and performance courses. 

Students who are enrolled in any in-person classes in the fall semester will receive an email outlining health and safety guidelines by Vincent Vigil, the associate vice president for students affairs and dean of students.

In the event that a student or university employee tests positive for COVID-19, they must remain off campus and should notify the Infectious Disease Response Team so they can disinfect the area they were at and notify anyone they may have been in contact with. 

Marcus Reveles and Skylar Soria, the Associated Students’ president and vice president respectively,  will host a student-moderated online seminar along with vice president for student affairs Tonantzin Oseguera. The seminar will answer questions and discuss important information for people returning to campus next month. It will be posted on the CSUF Student Affairs’ Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and YouTube accounts in the near future.