University Police Car

University Police has increased patrol recently around campus after two burglaries on campus in the 2020 fall semester. (Eliza Green / Daily Titan)

A Cal State Fullerton student employee was allegedly struck repeatedly by an unknown male jogger on campus on Wednesday at around 7:25 a.m.

A timely warning sent to the CSUF community described the person of interest as a a “‘Caucasian’ male, approximately 28 years old, wearing a gray beanie style cap, red sweatpants and a gray sweatshirt.” Security cameras were unable to capture an image of him, but the warning stated he was last spotted running northbound on State College Boulevard from Gym Drive.

University Police Capt. Scot Willey said the student employee was walking to work on the east sidewalk of State College Boulevard at Gym Drive before being approached by the jogger in a hostile manner.

Willey said the student told the University Police that the jogger showed a personal objection to them wearing a face mask and proceeded to strike them in the face, leaving the student with a bloody nose.

The student was treated by the Fullerton Fire Department for his minor injury. Police personnel were unable to locate the person of interest. Willey added that the conversation between the jogger and the student will be looked into deeper once the runner is located.

“That's something that we'll look into later on, if we're able to talk to that person and so we can kind of match up what was reported,” Willey said. “There's always two sides to every story so part of what we want to do is get that person to talk to us about what happened.”

Willey said the University Police hopes that Fullerton residents come forward with new information to find the person of interest. He said the jogger is likely to be someone who lives close to the campus and added that this was a rare occurrence.

University Police has increased patrol recently as a result of the burglaries that occurred late in the 2020 fall semester at McCarthy and Dan Black halls.

“We're really focusing on our campus building and our buildings and that area right now. Just try to keep it as safe as possible,” Willey said. “Unfortunately, we can't be everywhere at once.”

Anyone with information about Wednesday’s incident can call (657) 278-2903. Students can also call (657) 278-2515 to receive a safety escort on campus.