CSUF spring 2022

The first two weeks of Cal State Fullerton's spring semester will be held remotely, according to an email from CSUF President Fram Virjee. (Andre Gomez / Daily Titan)

Cal State Fullerton’s spring semester will begin virtually in response to the omicron variant, according to an email from CSUF President Fram Virjee.

An in-person return has been delayed to Feb. 7, resulting in the first two weeks of classes being remote. Campus will remain open while in-person services will still be available, according to the email.

“Temporarily delaying face-to-face instruction was not what we hoped for, but we believe that this decision allows us to prioritize health and safety without sacrificing academic quality and access,” Virjee said.

The university’s virtual start mimics several of its sister schools, including Cal State LA and Cal State Long Beach, which hoped to dodge virtual instruction with their late January semester start. Most schools within the University of California system begin remotely next week.

Despite virtual instruction, spaces like the Pollak Library, Titan Student Union, and student centers will remain open and staffed throughout the first two weeks.

As of Nov. 19, CSUF’s student population is 93.34% vaccinated while 6.13% have approved exemptions in compliance with the CSUF vaccination mandate. Employees are 93.38% vaccinated, and 4.90% have approved exemptions, as of Dec. 3.

The CSU system will be requiring COVID-19 vaccine boosters for the spring semester, according to a December announcement. Boosters are required by Feb. 28, 2022, or six months after a campus member’s final vaccination dose. Individual campuses are allowed to establish an earlier compliance date if circumstances call for it.

“Vaccination, including a booster when eligible, remains our most effective strategy against infection and severe disease," said CSU Chancellor Joseph Castro. “This is particularly important in light of the rapid rise of cases of COVID-19 throughout the state and nation as the Omicron variant spreads."

Virjee said that students will soon receive further information regarding the virtual start.