Titan Student Union

CSUF's Titan Student Union will serve as a free vaccination clinic for one day on May 13. (Eliza Green / Daily Titan)

St. Jude’s Medical Center will offer COVID-19 vaccinations for Cal State Fullerton students, faculty, staff and their family members on Thursday between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. at the Titan Student Union.

According to CSUF’s COVID-19 website, the Pfizer vaccine will be offered during Thursday’s distribution and a second dose will need to be scheduled 21 days after the first dose, per guidelines set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Dru Ann Copping, the director of communications at St. Jude’s, told the Daily Titan that all rules related to Thursday’s vaccine distribution, including when the second dose would be scheduled, are strictly following CDC recommendations.

Those eligible for the vaccine must be 16 years of age or older and must be accompanied by a parent or guardian if under the age of 18. The vaccine is free and health insurance is not required, Copping added.

"We follow the CDC guidelines, and what they have indicated is that it is highly recommended to get it as close to the 21 days as you can," Copping said.

Copping said a valid form of ID is a state requirement for any person getting vaccinated. Acceptable forms of identification include a state-issued driver’s license or ID card, student ID card, a utility bill or rental agreement, as well as a passport.

People who have received a different, unrelated vaccine within the last 14 days will not be eligible to participate in St. Jude’s Medical Center vaccine distribution at the TSU.

"If you're given a tetanus shot or a flu shot, your body is building up the antibodies to that,” Copping said. “And then if you introduce another vaccine, your body is going to say OK, well now I need to develop antibodies for that,’ and you can actually diminish the efficacy of both."

On April 22, CSUF announced that the California State Universities may require all students, staff and faculty to be fully vaccinated against the coronavirus before using any on-campus facilities.

The announcement stated that the requirement will go into effect when one or more vaccines are fully approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

The second dose for the COVID-19 vaccine will also be administered at the same location, the TSU, Copping said.

Reporter Fall 20; Reporter & Asst. Sports Editor S21