CSUF Campus Photo

Ellen Treanor, associate vice president of strategic communications, said the cleaning procedures are expected to last at least until the end of the year. (Eliza Green / Daily Titan)

This semester Cal State Fullerton has increased its cleaning protocols throughout campus by focusing on air filtration systems to ensure the safety of students and faculty and prevent the spread of COVID-19.

Ellen Treanor, associate vice president of Strategic Communications, said the custodial staff has increased the number of cleanings and the time spent cleaning.

Treanor said the revised protocols suggested by health officials have shifted the university's focus from surface disinfection to air circulation. She mentioned that at the beginning of the pandemic, the school was recommended to prioritize the disinfection of high-contact areas.

“The cleaning of spaces seems to be less of a concern than making sure there’s circulation of air in the area,” said Treanor.

Treanor said these revised protocols have prompted the university to upgrade its air filtration systems.

“We’ve spent millions of dollars replacing all of the filtration systems in our HVAC systems and upgrading all of those throughout the indoor spaces on campus to make sure that there’s air circulation,” said Treanor. “The CDC’s recommendations have come through and said what’s more important is that air is circulated.”

She added that at the beginning of the pandemic, the university worked with an industrial hygienist company which would clean areas on campus where exposures were noted.

Treanor said that this cleaning method is no longer necessary, as there have been very few cases on campus. She also said there have been no cases of infection after coming into contact with a surface.

However, Treanor added that when a positive COVID-19 test is reported on campus, they immediately clean spaces that the person was possibly in, and they also notify any individuals who may have been in that space through notification protocol.

Cerise Valenzuela Metzger, the associate director of News Media Services, said that each classroom in use this semester is now cleaned daily.

“The campus also has cleaning crews that go through the entire campus early in the morning, cleaning each classroom,” said Metzger.

Daily classroom cleaning includes spot cleaning furniture, dusting and mopping, according to the CSUF website. Hallways and lobbies are also cleaned daily, including all glass surfaces, drinking fountains and flooring.

Treanor said the university follows protocols and recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the California Department of Public Health, the CSU Chancellor's Office and the Orange County Health Care Agency.

Treanor said these cleaning procedures are expected to last at least until the end of the year.

A previous version of the article titled “CSUF's cleaning protocols include air filtration system,” incorrectly named the Orange County Health Care Agency as the Orange County Health Department.