Student Rec Center

CSUF's Student Recreation Center has remained closed since March 16 of last year. (Isaias Ruelas / Daily Titan)

After almost an entire year of closure, the Cal State Fullerton Student Recreation Center still has no set date to reopen.

The SRC, along with other facilities operated by the Associated Students, closed on March 16, 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Aaron Tapper, director of the SRC, said the facility abides not only by state and county guidelines, but also by the chancellor’s office and campus guidelines.

Tapper said a reentry leadership team on campus is also in charge of deciding when things open based on these guidelines and they will give direction on when campus can begin repopulating. A date or estimate for when the facilities will open has not been given yet.

“When we are given the green light, we will be ready to open in a safe environment for our student body,” Tapper said. “We definitely are looking at a reservation system to control access to our building.”

As far as preparations for a possible return, Tapper said they are establishing an Associated Students reopening plan that includes all buildings, and have been working on adjustments to the SRC in order to abide by regulations.

“We are in the process of making some of those modifications to provide safe social distancing and mask wearing and all those recommendations that are by the (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention),” Tapper said.

In addition to the use of the facility being included in tuition charges, students now have to pay extra money for other gym memberships and fitness classes outside of campus.

“The biggest inconvenience is obviously money,” said Manuela Velez, a third-year psychology major at Cal State Fullerton.

“I’ve had to go out of my way to go find other gyms and I’ve had to pay a lot more than I usually would,” Velez said. In the past, she used the SRC to attend F45 classes, and only paid about $15 for the semester.

Orange County is currently in the purple tier of California’s reopening plan. This tier allows gyms and fitness centers to open and operate outdoors with modifications. Once the county moves into the red tier, gyms will be able to operate indoors at a 10% capacity.

“One thing that makes it really kind of upsetting is I would maybe think they would open the gym and do outside, since we have so much outside area at school,” Velez said.

Kylee Cologgi, a second-year business marketing major, said she thinks on-campus student facilities such as the SRC should begin opening in order to slowly reintroduce students to campus.

“I think it’d be beneficial for sure to have our student body start going back and getting back on campus, getting the feel of it, so it’s not such a huge change going back in hopefully the fall or spring,” Cologgi said.

The SRC has been offering weekly online fitness classes, such as yoga, zumba and high intensity interval training. Students can attend these live virtual classes through their CSUF campus portal login. Recorded fitness classes are also available on the ASI CSUF YouTube channel, for those who cannot attend the live classes.