Student Wellness Health Center

Cal State Fullerton’s Student Wellness Center offers free COVID-19 testing to symptomatic students or students exposed to the virus. (Eliza Green / Daily Titan)

Since the beginning of the 2020 fall semester, Cal State Fullerton reported 40 positive COVID-19 cases on campus, consisting of 13 students, 21 employees and six vendors and contractors.

During the same timeframe, the university also reported 78 positive cases among people who were not on campus. The number is broken down to 48 students, 28 employees and one vender/contrator. The total is updated weekly on the Campus Case Count website.

The COVID-19 vaccine produced by Pfizer and BioNTech, which has a 95% effective rate, has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration. Millions of vaccines have been shipped to healthcare workers and nursing home residents.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the United States’ top disease expert, said Americans can expect vaccines to be widely available to the public sometime between April and June.

Dr. Mary Becerra, the CSUF director of health and services, said the university is unsure if new and returning students will be required to get the vaccine.

“We are cautiously optimistic about the vaccine and will work with the Orange County Department of Health on a possible distribution process for students,” Becerra said via email.

She also stated CSUF will continue to follow all guidelines from federal, state and local public health agencies as more information about vaccines is released.

On Wednesday, the California State University system announced that it anticipates a primarily in-person 2021 fall semester.

Ellen Treanor, the chief communications officer, said that CSUF will take consideration of the CSU chancellor's office and the Orange County Health Agency before making an official decision to allow students to return to campus.

Students showing symptoms of COVID-19 or exposed to the virus can call the Student Wellness Center at (657) 278-2800 to receive free testing.