Charging stations

There are 103 electric vehicle charging stations across campus which generally do not generate profit. (Isaias Ruelas / Daily Titan) 

From once overflowing parking lots to now empty spaces, Cal State Fullerton’s Parking and Transportation Services only sold 248 parking permits for the Spring 2021 semester.

While an estimated $6 million in revenue for spring semesters is expected, spring 2021 has brought in only $70,000 in student parking permits, said Sasha Azoqa, communications specialist for the Parking and Transportation Services.

The department operating costs, which includes maintenance of parking facilities and debt payments, is directly funded from parking permit revenue.

“University Parking Organizations do not receive state funding, P&TS is fully self-supported through user fees,”Azoqa said in an email about the sales in the department.

With a loss in revenue, the department now qualifies for the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act, also known as the CARES Act, funding to help with operating expenses.

The CARES Act is a part of the $2.2 trillion relief aid that was passed last year in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The CARES Act provides nearly $31 billion for K-12 and higher education nationally.

“P&T is able to support department expenses through reserves, refinancing existing debt to lower interest rates and reducing expenses,” Azoqa said.

Azoqa also said that the electric vehicle charging stations usually do not generate profit, but the department is now willing to issue a permit to anyone who wishes to receive free charging.

“Any cost recovery received through the use by off-campus affiliates (who are charged $0.40 /kwh), subsidizes the electricity use of all users,” Azoqa said. “The campus community receives electricity at a full subsidy.”