VO trial

Chris Chuyen Vo, a suspect in CSUF stabbing of Steven Chan, awaits for his day in court as his trials continue to be pushed back. (Jonathan Phan / Daily Titan)

The preliminary hearing for Chris Chuyen Vo, a former Cal State Fullerton employee charged with the fatal stabbing of Steven Shek Keung Chan, has been rescheduled to Mar. 19, 2021.

Though Vo was not present at the Santa Ana Central Justice Center, his attorney — T. Edward Welbourn — from the Corrigan Welbourn and Stokke law firm requested the extension. Vo was originally scheduled for a preliminary hearing on Jan. 15, 2021.

From Vo pleading not guilty to the murder charge in October 2019 to dodging the death penalty, the Orange County District Attorney’s office added a charge alleging that the killing was for financial gain and embezzlement on Sept. 25.

Kimberly Edds, the district attorney’s public information officer, confirmed to the Daily Titan reporters that Vo’s embezzlement charges were related to his work at CSUF, where he had a position in the finance department of the Student Services and International Programs.

Chan served as the director of budget and finance for Student Services and Extended Education before he retired in 2017. He returned as a consultant in 2019 to do a financial audit of Vo’s department and was fatally stabbed in his car at the College Park parking lot in August of that year.

The university has not publicly disclosed if Vo embezzled money from CSUF and has declined to comment, as it is an ongoing investigation, said Chi-Chung Keung, CSUF’s news media services director.

This was Vo’s ninth pre-trial since his arrest at his Huntington Beach residence in August 2019, where he has been held without bail ever since.

Before being transferred to the Theo Lacy Facility, a maximum-security jail complex in the city of Orange, he was temporarily held in mental health housing at the central jailhouse.