Housing and residential engagement office

The housing and residential engagement office at Cal State Fullerton has opened its housing application for the fall 2021 semester. (Isaias Ruelas / Daily Titan)

Cal State Fullerton’s housing occupancy will be closer to normal for the fall 2021 semester, according to Larry Martin, executive director of housing and residential engagement.

“We are currently accepting applications on a rolling basis and will begin to send out placement notifications in mid-June. We are planning to open student housing the week of August 16 with specific dates/times to be determined,” Martin said.

Martin said CSUF will continue to follow health's guidelines for the fall.

“We're planning on 60% of our typical occupancy,” Martin said. “So we'll continue to use, prioritize folks based on needs, as we did this year, whether that's a need for in person class, a need for, you know, housing instability, and need for engagement in our theme communities, and then go from there.”

Students returning to housing will still get a sense of normalcy as housing continues to have shared facilities, shared bedrooms in both the residence halls and the double apartments, Martin said.

“We are planning to return to shared bedroom occupancy in the residence halls and double apartments. Residents will share restrooms in the residence halls, single apartments and double apartments,” Martin said.

Should the housing department have to open up more single and double apartments, CSUF will maintain space for isolation if needed, Martin said.

The California State University and University of California systems have announced that it plans to require students to be vaccinated upon returning to campus, when one or more vaccines are approved by the Food and Drug Administration.

Martin said that if the plan comes to fruition, it will alter some of the current COVID-19 related policies before knowing if students will have to be vaccinated to live on campus.

“That will really help determine how strict. If it will remain at the strictest level as we have this year in terms of policy or if we'll be able to change that based on the vaccination requirement, but still to be determined,” Martin said.

According to the Fullerton website, the deadline to request a specific apartment is May 31 and students will be notified of their status by the second week of July.

Students will have until mid July to cancel their application to receive a refund, Aug. 13 is when the first initial payment is due. Three days later on Aug. 16 is when students can begin moving into their new apartments.

In compliance with the current COVID-19 protocols, students will continue to wear mandated masks outside of their apartments, dining halls will have limited hours, but to-go meal plans are available and no guests are allowed.

Sports Editor F20; Asst. Sports Editor S21