Student Recreation Center

Cal State Fullerton's Student Recreation Center returns to its regular operational hours for the fall semester. (Eliza Green / Daily Titan)

On Saturday, the Cal State Fullerton Student Recreation Center opened to full operational hours for the first time since March 2020.

The building’s new operating hours are Monday through Thursday from 6 a.m. to midnight, Friday from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Saturday through Sunday from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., according to the SRC website. Marcus St. Phard, associate director of Titan Recreation, clarified that reservations are no longer needed to visit the SRC.

Miguel Guardado, SRC building manager and kinesiology major, said the SRC will continue to employ the cleaning procedures used during the summer, and guests will also be provided with tools to clean their own equipment as desired.

St. Phard said he is excited for students to come back to campus and to participate at the SRC again both as members and employees.

“It's a safe environment. We're going to provide masks if we have anyone that doesn't have a mask,” St. Phard said. “There are job opportunities available for all of our students, so we want to make sure we provide those opportunities to our students with a stress free environment and very flexible scheduling.”

During the summer, the SRC opened their cardio and weight rooms, while most other facilities remained closed, such as the F45 room, basketball courts and dance studios. Few students on campus along with the SRC’s limited capacity rules lowered its daily count of patrons throughout the summer.

Employees such as Guardado were happy to welcome members back in the summer and hope to see even more people in the fall.

“I hope we get a lot more people to be able to come in, especially with the fact that there's going to be two new classes that haven't gotten to experience the rec. I think it really is a great place on campus,” Guardado said.

Previously, students only had the options of attending limited in-person fitness classes or virtual classes, however, St. Phard said that all classes and building facilities will once again become fully available in the fall as the SRC hires more staff members as needed. A weekly schedule of free drop-in classes and information on paid classes are available on the SRC website.

Dallas Kaauwai, a fourth-year kinesiology major at CSUF and a pre-pandemic patron of the SRC, said he was looking forward to participating in intramural sports again.

“I think [intramurals are] a great time for the campus community to come together and just be able to be a part of the Titan family again. It's cool to be with other students and create new relationships,” Kaauwai said.

There are no current plans to continue the virtual fitness classes that took place over the summer, however, Guardado said he hopes to see their return.

“I feel like it's a good in between for people who want to get fitness on their own time and they don't need to worry about coming in here and extra exposure,” Guardado said.

Students who are currently enrolled in fall classes can now activate their SRC membership for free, while non-enrolled students must pay a $50 annual membership fee.

Enrolled students who previously had a membership over the summer can reactivate their membership at no cost. Students can activate their membership through the Titan Recreation app.

In the face of increased concerns about the COVID-19 delta variant, St. Phard said that the Student Recreation Center team will continue to follow CSUF’s Presidential Directive 22 procedures and the president’s general direction as the school year continues.