Titan Clean Air Day

CSUF is hosting an array of virtual events to empower people to make a change in reversing the effects of climate change. (Eliza Green / Daily Titan)

As California wildfires become a recurring event and climate change continues to be a pressing topic, Cal State Fullerton’s Office of Sustainability, Parking and Transportation Services and Center for Sustainability hosted “Titan Clean Air Day” on Wednesday.

Over 4 million acres have burned this year, according to Cal Fire. The smoke from these wildfires has caused a drastic decrease in the air quality throughout California and has prevented people from stepping out of their homes.

October is Campus Sustainability Month and CSUF is hosting an array of virtual events to educate, empower and engage students, faculty and staff to make a change in reversing the effects of climate change, according to the department.

John Bock, the founding director of the Center for Sustainability on campus, explained the ways that the different departments worked together to launch the project.

“While we may have some distinct focuses, we overlap on many areas and often collaborate to produce campus-wide events or initiatives,” Bock said in an email to the Daily Titan.

He said the center is focused on the academic side of sustainability while providing leadership and support for topics regarding research, curriculum, community engagement, service learning and internships.

The virtual event had three presenters: Mojgan Sami, an assistant professor, Elissa Thomas, a lead transportation analyst from the Parking and Transportation Services and Amber Moyers, Manager Corporate Partner Program.

The Office of Sustainability’s main focus is to promote carbon neutrality and preservation of resources, said Stephanie Del Rosario, sustainability analyst for the Office of Sustainability.

“With measurable results, we aim to inspire the campus community to weave sustainable practices into their daily lives,” Del Rosario said in an email to the Daily Titan.

The office aims to address climate issues that are in line with the American College and University Presidents’ Climate Commitment and State of California legislation, executive orders and regulations, Del Rosario said.

In addition to these efforts, the Office of Sustainability has teamed up with the Center for Sustainability and other departments and student organizations to establish a community garden.

The proposed location for the garden will be between the humanities and social sciences building and Gordon Hall. The Office of Sustainability hopes to have at least eight raised beds maintained by student organizations and classes throughout the year.

Although they have been delayed by the pandemic, they hope to host a groundbreaking event over Earth Week in April 2021, Bock said.

During the event, Sami elaborated on the impact of climate change, especially how it not only affects the planet, but individual health, while Moyers encouraged students to use public transportation instead of personal vehicles.

As an initiative to utilize public transportation, Parking and Transportation Services offered a free Metrolink round trip ticket to all students, faculty and staff.

The department provided the promotional code, 1259294165, in order to redeem a free ticket.

To find the nearest Metrolink station, visit https://metrolinktrains.com/rider-info/general-info/stations/.

This post was updated to clarify that the Center for Sustainability is leading the effort to establish a campus garden at Cal State Fullerton.