VO trial

Chris Chuyen Vo, a suspect in CSUF stabbing of Steven Chan, awaits for his day in court as his trials continue to be pushed back. (Jonathan Phan / Daily Titan)

The Orange County District Attorney’s office announced on Friday that the death penalty would not be sought against Chris Chuyen Vo, a former Cal State Fullerton employee charged with the murder of his coworker. 

However, a new charge was added alleging the killing was carried out for financial gain.  

In August 2019, Steven Shek Keung Chan was fatally stabbed in the faculty parking lot outside the College Park building. 

Chan served as the director of budget and finance for Student Services and Extended Education before he retired in 2017. In August, Chan returned to the university as a consultant of budget and finance for Student Services and International Programs.  

Two days later, the Fullerton Police Department announced that officers had arrested Vo in his Huntington Beach residence on the charge of Chan’s murder. 

Vo pled not guilty to his charges during his October 2019 arraignment and is being held at the Theo Lacy Facility.

T. Edward Welbourn from the Corrigan Welbourn and Stokke law firm, which is representing Vo, did not return multiple requests for comment. 

Vo’s next pretrial date is set for Dec. 11, while the preliminary hearing is scheduled for Jan. 15, 2021 at the Santa Ana Central Justice Center.

Noah Biesiada contributed to this article.