Fullerton Restaurant

Guests dine at the Fullerton Brew Co. in December 2020 following COVID-19 guidelines. (Camille Manaloto / Daily Titan)

During a press conference at Universal Studios Hollywood, Gov. Gavin Newsom announced that the state of California lowered its COVID-19 restrictions to its lowest level since the pandemic began over a year ago. 

Physical distancing, capacity limits and the county tier system are some of the state restrictions that ended on June 15. 

One of the major announcements was that fully vaccinated individuals will not be required to wear masks in most public settings. Nevertheless, hospitals, homeless shelters, long-term care facilities, public transit and indoor spaces like schools and childcare facilities are places that may still require people to wear a mask.

With the reopening, Newsom’s Stay Home Order and Blueprint for A Safer Economy that were enforced via executive order have now been terminated. 

The Stay Home Order was signed in March 2020 and its goal was to protect the public health of Californians, bend the curve and stop the spread of the virus. 

Californians were advised to practice social distancing at all times when traveling to necessary places to access food and health care. 

The Blueprint for A Safer Economy was announced in August 2020 as a way to keep track of positive COVID-19 cases for the adjustment of public policy. 

Each county, then, was classified by a tier system so the more positive cases, the more restrictive the county would become. As cases dropped so would the county’s restrictions.  

Orange, San Bernardino, Los Angeles and Riverside counties were all yellow tier counties prior to the state re-opening counties that had the lowest levels of virus transmission and positive cases. 

In the past week, the state as a whole has had one of the lowest number of cases per 100,000 people in the country, being the 13th with the least cases.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, over 40 million vaccine doses in the state of California have been distributed, which is nearly 20 million more doses than the state of Texas.    

On the first official day of the state re-opening, Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles set the record for most fans in attendance for a U.S. professional sports league game since the pandemic began, with 52,078 fans eagerly watching. 

In Anaheim, Disneyland Resort once again opened with a high level of traffic now that vaccinated people from all parts of the country can enter the park. 

According to a Twitter post from Disney Tourist Blog, visitors were faced with a long line of people waiting to enter the park on the first morning California reopened.

Initially, the parks were only open to California residents but beginning June 15, the park will begin to welcome out-of-state visitors. The reservation system will be staying according to Disneyland’s latest COVID-19 update, but there are plans to discontinue on-site temperature checks and physical distancing requirements.  

Along with the amusement parks reopening, some cities in Orange County like Newport Beach have extended outdoor dining plans for many restaurants and others, like Laguna Beach and Fullerton, are considering making outdoor dining permanent fixtures in certain areas because of their level of success during the pandemic.