Sharon Quirk-Silva

Incumbent Sharon Quirk-Silva defeats opponent Cynthia Thacker for state assembly of California's 65th district. (Sharon Quirk-Silva for Assembly 2020) 

Democrat Incumbent Sharon Quirk-Silva won the race for the State Assembly’s 65th District on Wednesday, as she established a 25,000 vote lead over her opponent and cemented her fourth term in the state government.

Republican candidate Cynthia Thacker has not made any statements on Quirk-Silva’s victory, but the race was long projected to swing in Quirk-Silva’s favor as Democrats hold a double-digit lead for voter registration in that district.

The 65th District covers Fullerton, Buena Park, Cypress, La Palma, and parts of Anaheim and Garden Grove.

Democrat Incumbent Sharon Quirk-Silva holds a lead with 57.9% with over 97,151 votes against Republican newcomer Cynthia Thacker as she acquired 42.1%

The race was long projected to swing in Quirk-Silva’s favor as Democrats hold a double-digit lead for voter registration in that district.

Quirk-Silva is currently serving her third term in the State Assembly. Her first term was in 2012, and after a loss in 2014, she was re-elected in 2016 and in 2018.

Before being on the State Assembly, Quirk-Silva was a teacher in the Fullerton School District for 30 years. She then began serving for the local government in Fullerton on the city council. She served on the city council for eight years, including two terms as mayor.

During her time on the assembly, some of Quirk-Silva’s legislative accomplishments include steps forward in education, public safety, transportation, health care, homelessness and veterans.

This term, her focus will be to expand access to affordable health care and boost funding for school districts and infrastructures.

Thacker is a retired businesswoman from Buena Park. She has served as a committee member for the Republican Party of Orange County and was president of the OC Republican Women for two years.

Thacker’s campaign focused on creating and keeping businesses in Orange County. She said that she believes the Republican Party supports equal opportunity, while the Democratic Party supports equality of results. She shared that her campaign is a unique grassroots campaign that focused on the people in her district.

“I am passionate about Republican values and being part of the Red Wave to return California to a government that cares about people over Unions, public safety over lawlessness and encouragement of individual success over government handouts,” Thacker wrote on her Facebook page.

As of the primary election, Quirk-Silva was the favored candidate in this race. Quirk-Silva received 57.7% of the votes, while Thacker received 42.3%.