Biden pic

Joe Biden delivers a speech with vice presidential candidate Kamala Harris on Nov. 4. (Joe Biden 2020 Presidential Campaign)

This story was updated on Nov. 6 at 9:50 p.m.

As of 8 p.m. on Friday, Joe Biden is still projected to have 264 electoral votes, close to the 270 electoral threshold needed to secure the presidency. President Donald Trump currently has 214 projected electoral votes. 

Speaking in front of his campaign headquarters in Wilmington, Delaware on Friday, Biden said that his campaign expects to win this election. 

“The numbers tell us a clear and convincing story, we're going to win this race,” Biden said alongside running mate Kamala Harris. 

Biden's path towards the presidency became more clear when he took the lead over President Donald Trump in the key battleground states of Pennsylvania and Georgia, states that Trump had been leading in the polls since Election Day. 

“Twenty-four hours we were behind in Georgia. Now we're ahead, we're going to win that state. Twenty-four hours ago, we were behind in Pennsylvania, and we are going to win Pennsylvania,” Biden said.

Biden took the lead in Georgia around 1 a.m. PST, followed by the lead in Pennsylvania around 6 a.m. Since then, his lead has grown in both states.

States that also have not had a declared winner are Nevada — where Biden leads — and North Carolina — where Trump leads. Some news outlets have declared a Biden victory in Arizona while others have not made the call, as Trump has gained more votes to dwindle Biden’s lead to under 40,000 votes.

With over 73.6 million votes, Biden is also the most voted presidential candidate in the country’s history. In the popular vote, as of 8 p.m. on Friday, Biden has 50.5% of the nation’s votes, with Trump earning 69.7 million total votes, giving him 47.8% of the presidential votes. 

Locally, Biden has been the leader in Orange County with 53.6% of the county’s presidential vote, compared to the 44.4% of the vote Trump has.

This is the original story, posted on Nov. 4 at 11 p.m.

Former Vice President Joe Biden is closing in on winning enough electoral votes to become president of the United States, which would end President Donald Trump’s term in the White House, according to projections from the Associated Press and multiple news outlets. 

As of 11 p.m. on Wednesday, Biden is projected to have 264 electoral votes, six short needed to secure the presidency, while Trump trails with 214 electoral votes.

“It's clear that we're winning enough states to reach 270 electoral votes needed to win the presidency. I'm not here to declare that we've won, but I am here to report when the count is finished, we believe we will be the winners,” Biden said during a press conference on Wednesday afternoon.

The only states yet to project a winner are Nevada, Pennsylvania, Georgia and North Carolina — any of which would give Biden a win — with Nevada being the only state he leads in.

With the exception of Nevada, the mentioned states are part of the 12 battleground states. Biden is the projected winner of five of them, including Michigan and Wisconsin, states that Trump won in 2016.

With over 72 million votes, Biden is also the most voted for presidential candidate in the country’s history. In the popular vote, as of 11 p.m. on Wednesday, Biden has 50.4% of the nation’s votes, with Trump earning 68.5 million total votes, giving him 47.9% of the presidential votes. 

After declaring a victory on Tuesday night, Trump tweeted out on Wednesday afternoon that his campaign was claiming wins in four states that had not had yet declared winners. 

Trump’s campaign also filed lawsuits against Pennsylvania, Michigan and Georgia, claiming voter fraud in all three states. In a speech early Tuesday morning, he criticized the counting of votes being stopped in some states late into the night and called for the counting of votes to be stopped in others.

“This is a major fraud in our nation. We want the law to be used in a proper manner, so we'll be going to the US Supreme Court,” Trump said. “To me this is a very sad moment and we will win this. And as far as I'm concerned, we already have won it.”