Biden pic

Joe Biden delivers a speech with vice presidential candidate Kamala Harris on Nov. 4. (Joe Biden 2020 Presidential Campaign)

Former Vice President Joe Biden has won the 2020 presidential election as he defeated President Donald Trump in a narrow race, according to the Associated Press and multiple news outlets. 

As of 10 a.m. on Saturday, Biden became the forecasted winner of Pennsylvania, giving him a projected 290 electoral votes, which pushed him past the 270 electoral threshold needed to secure the presidency. 

Biden’s win ends a nearly five-day election that had the nation waiting on key battleground states to finish counting their votes. Trump currently has 214 projected electoral votes and will end his presidency after one term. 

Biden took to Twitter to thank voters for choosing him to lead the country. 

“The work ahead of us will be hard, but I promise you this: I will be a President for all Americans — whether you voted for me or not,” Biden tweeted. “I will keep the faith that you have placed in me.”

Biden’s running mate Kamala Harris will make history as the nation's first woman as vice president as well as the first Black vice president and Asian American vice president.

Biden's path towards the presidency became more clear when he took the lead over Trump in Pennsylvania and Georgia early on Friday morning — states that Trump was leading in the polls since Election Day. 

Before Biden was declared the winner, Trump shared multiple tweets claiming voter fraud was happening across the country, and that he had won the election.

Biden took the lead in Georgia around 1 a.m. PST, followed by taking the lead in Pennsylvania around 6 a.m. Since then, his lead continued to grow in both states. 

States that also have not had a declared winner are Nevada and Georgia — where Biden leads — as well as North Carolina — where Trump leads. Some news outlets such as Fox News, have declared a Biden victory in Arizona while others, such as CNN, have not made the call, as Trump has gained more votes to dwindle Biden’s lead to under 21,000 votes.

Biden also said that all votes in the election will be counted and that the counting process cannot stop, something that Trump has wanted to be stopped, citing that some votes are being counted illegally despite no evidence. 

On Wednesday, Trump tweeted that his campaign had claimed victories in those states in addition to Michigan, where Biden was declared the winner by multiple news outlets. Trump’s campaign also filed lawsuits against Pennsylvania, Michigan and Georgia, and claimed voter fraud in all three states.

Trump also released a statement on Saturday morning, stating that this election is not over. 

“We all know why Joe Biden is rushing to falsely pose as the winner, and why his media allies are trying so hard to help him: they don’t want the truth to be exposed,” the statement said. “I will not rest until the American People have the honest vote count they deserve and that Democracy demands.”

Brad Raffensberger, Secretary of State of Georgia, said at a press conference on Friday morning that there will be a recount due to the slight lead Biden had of over 4,000 votes as of 8 p.m.

Speaking in front of his campaign headquarters in Wilmington, Delaware on Friday, Biden said that his campaign expected to win this election. 

“The numbers tell us a clear and convincing story: we're going to win this race,” Biden said alongside Harris. 

With over 74.8 million votes, Biden is also the most voted presidential candidate in the country’s history. In the popular vote, as of 10 a.m. on Saturday, Biden had 50.6% with 74.9 million votes, while Trump earned 70.5 million total votes, giving him 47.7% of the presidential votes. 

Locally, Biden has been the leader in Orange County with 53.7% of the county’s presidential vote, compared to the 44.4% of the vote Trump has.

Biden will begin his presidency in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, which Trump has continually downplayed. Since January, there have been over 9.5 million cases of COVID-19 nationwide, with over 231,000 deaths, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 

Biden has said leading up to Election Day that if he were elected president, he would listen to and trust the advice of medical experts, as well as ensure free virus testing for the entire country.

Claudia Lazaro, a third-year political science major and president of College Democrats of CSUF, said earlier this week that Biden is the best option for the country because of his passion and comprehensive plans for climate change and healthcare, as well as bringing unity to the country. She said that she would feel optimistic about the country going into the next four years with Biden as president.