motal

The Museum of Teaching and Learning has collaborated with CSUF faculty and students since 2006. (Museum of Teaching and Learning)

A nonprofit organization will receive $500,000 allocated by the city of Fullerton for a mobile exhibition created with the help of Cal State Fullerton’s Departments of Child and Adolescent Studies and Human Services.

Fullerton will receive funding from the California Arts Council.

The money will be used for a mobile exhibition, “Your Baby’s Amazing Brain,” created by the Museum of Teaching and Learning. CSUF was involved with the project’s development for over two and a half years.   

The Museum of Teaching and Learning is a nonprofit organization that hosts exhibits which highlight the differences in classroom settings around the world, children attending segregated schools, and individuals who advocate for equality in the field of education.

Those exhibitions have been hosted at the Old Orange County Courthouse in Santa Ana, Fullerton Arboretum Museum as well as in San Diego and Portland, Oregon.

The exhibit will be hosted in a 48-foot moving van with 10 stations that will use photos, drawings and other demonstrations to educate visitors about the brain development of a child.

“This mobile exhibition is for adults who plan to be parents, who are parents or grandparents already taking care of children,” said CSUF alumna Greta Nagel, founder and CEO of the museum.

“The focus will be on the kinds of important behaviors that adults must use in order to be effective, and preserve and enhance baby’s brains,” Nagel said.

After the museum applied for state funding in 2019, the following year saw their progress on the mobile exhibit put on halt due to COVID-19. Assembly member Sharon Quirk-Silva later announced the museum received the funding for the exhibit in late June, 2021.

The city of Fullerton will allocate $125,000 from the state grant to the nonprofit organization for the initial funding of the project. The remaining funds will be distributed on a reimbursement basis.

“As somebody who started a nonprofit out of my garage, I am very cognizant of not only the moral obligation that we have to make society better, but the financial constraints that nonprofits operate under,” said Fullerton Mayor Fred Jung.

Jung also added that minority communities especially benefit from the research of the museum.

The nonprofit began as a project in 2004 in partnership with Long Beach State Foundation. Two years later, students and faculty from Long Beach and Cal State Fullerton collaborated for the organization's first exhibit, “Horace Mann: Uncommon Visionary for the Common American”, which highlighted Mann’s pursuit of equity and quality for education.