Disneyland Resort delays reopening as COVID-19 cases spike

(Jessica Ruiz / Daily Titan)

Disney will delay their July reopening date of the Anaheim Disneyland Park and the Disney California Adventure park to a later date, pending state and local government approval, according to a statement they released Wednesday. 

The reopening of Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel and Spa and Paradise Pier Hotel, which was initially set for July 23, has also been delayed. However, the Downtown Disney District will still reopen on July 9, according to the statement. 

The initial July 17 reopening date marked the 65th anniversary of Disneyland Park. While a reopening date for the theme park is now uncertain, the resort shared insight into the changes guests will see. 

To limit capacity and promote social distancing, guests and annual pass holders must make a reservation to enter the park, according to the statement. Certain hotels, restaurants, attractions and experiences will be limited in capacity or remain closed based on guidance from health experts and government officials. 

This statement comes as coronavirus cases rapidly rise. As of June 24, there were 183,073 cases statewide with 5,580 related deaths. 

According to the Orange County Business Journal, Orange County reported an average of 274 daily COVID-19 cases and 26 related deaths on Wednesday. There are now 299 total deaths in Orange County, exceeding neighboring counties in new cases, deaths and hospitalizations. 

Anaheim makes up 19% of coronavirus cases in Orange County despite only making up 11% of the county’s population.

As of Wednesday, a petition for the parks to reopen at a later date has reached over 50,000 signatures.

The petition said reopening before a potential second wave hits would be “irresponsible and greedy.” 

Before the announcement of the delayed reopening, a union representing park workers planned to protest the urgent reopening as they said they did not feel safe returning to work. Last week, the Coalition of Resort Labor Unions, a coalition representing 17,000 Disneyland employees, sent an open letter to California Gov. Gavin Newsom that expressed concern and criticism over the reopening of the parks. 

“Unfortunately, despite intensive talks with the company, we are not yet convinced that it is safe to reopen the parks on Disney’s rapid timetable,” the Coalition of Resort Labor Unions said in the letter.