Fullerton City Council

The city of Fullerton currently allows for the use of fireworks on July 4 from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.

The Fullerton City Council will review and discuss the current fireworks sale process at Tuesday’s meeting.

Safe and sane fireworks include those that cannot leave the ground or explode, according to a city staff report.

Illegal fireworks include skyrockets and bottle rockets, roman candles, aerial shells, firecrackers and other fireworks that explode, shoot into the air or move on the ground uncontrollably, according to Cal Fire. Fireworks that are illegal both in Fullerton and California include cherry bombs, roman candles, firecrackers and bottle rockets.

Sparklers, snaps and smoke balls are classified as safe and sane and are allowed to be used and sold following specific laws and ordinances, the staff report said.

The request to review the current process comes from council member Fred Jung and is supported by Mayor Bruce Whitaker, who opposed the prohibition of firework sales, possession, and use in November.

The current process is outlined by a resolution adopted in 2016 by the Fullerton City Council and sets rules for the use of fireworks within the city.

The resolution makes the sale of fireworks exclusive to 15 lottery applicants and five alternates. Lottery applications are accepted annually from March 1-31. Applicants are randomly selected every April by the city clerk’s office and once selected may apply for a permit with the fire marshal.

The report said that applicants interested in selling fireworks within the city of Fullerton must be a tax-exempt charity, nonprofit, an organization that meets the criteria listed in the resolution, or a school.

Schools eligible include elementary through the university levels, or student group, club, booster group, or organization formed to support any school program, the report said. The current policy allows for one representative group per educational institution which includes organizations operating outside of the school in support of an official school program like booster clubs.

Selected applicants are only permitted to sell fireworks in the city of Fullerton from July 1-4, and a person must be 16 years of age or older to purchase and use fireworks, the report said. Stock must be removed by July 5 and firework stands must be completely removed by July 13.

The first time the city council discussed the sale of fireworks since voters opposed Measure U last November, which would have prohibited firework sales, possession, and use.

The request to review the process comes nearly a year after the Fullerton Police Department reported an increase in calls regarding the use of illegal fireworks.

The city of Fullerton allows for the use of safe and sane fireworks on July 4 from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.

The use and possession of illegal fireworks is a misdemeanor, according to the city’s website. People caught using or possessing illegal fireworks could face fines or imprisonment.

The open session for Tuesday’s city council meeting will start at 6:30 p.m.