Fullerton CIty Council

The Fullerton City Council updated its regulations on short-term rentals on April 20, banning whole-home rentals for time periods of 30 days or less at one time. (Andre Gomez / Daily Titan)

On Tuesday night, the Fullerton City Council discussed modifying its current rental ordinance that bans short-term rentals for periods less than 30 days.

The council discussed placing a limit on the amount of whole-home rentals available for more than 30 days. That number was set to 300 on the originally proposed ordinance. At the next meeting on May 18, the council will discuss reducing the number to 100 total properties in the city.

Councilmember Fred Jung said a compromise would be necessary to move forward and suggested an amendment to modify the ordinance.

“Let's come to a compromise, I'm willing to sit at a hundred and if we can do that we can move forward,” Jung said.

In a 3-2 vote, the council rejected Jung’s amendment and instead will vote on modifying the existing ordinance that proposes a limit of 100 properties available for short-term rental longer than 30 days.

Some Fullerton residents who said they own and rent property — or work for someone that rents their property — voiced their opposition to the ordinance. They said short-term rentals provide residents employment and that the ordinance would sever a viable means of income for many.

One resident and house cleaner for four Airbnb homes in the city said she was concerned about the financial impacts on the city the ordinance would have.

“By you guys wanting to close Airbnbs, it's going to take not only money from my family but from the owners of the airbnbs too and just like the gentleman said, it does bring people from other states, maybe other cities, visit here. It brings in money,” the resident said.

One supporter of the ordinance said that short-term rentals exploit the housing market at the expense of Fullerton residents and tarnish the quality of the community.

“I was asked by my landlord to move in November, I could not find a home,” the resident said. “I was competing with people 50, sometimes 60 people, trying to get a home.”

Another member at the meeting voiced their concern for local school enrollments that are dependent on the people who actually live within the city.

“Our schools get affected because there are no children. The tourists are not going to put their kids in the school,” the resident said.