Holiday Giving photo

The university’s Food Pantry is accepting small, non-perishable food donations or hygiene products in the donation boxes outside of the pantry in the Titan Student Union. (Ferry Baylon / Daily Titan)

As the holidays approach, the Fullerton community can donate toys, time and food to organizations on or near campus.  

With over 10% of Fullerton’s population living below the poverty line, donating resources  to local organizations is a positive way to give back to the community. Here are some ways to give back this season: 

The university’s Food Pantry is accepting small, non-perishable food donations or hygiene products in the donation boxes outside of the pantry in the Titan Student Union. Those with larger or perishable donations can set up a drop-off appointment by calling or emailing the pantry. 

Cristina Truong, the assistant director of the ASI Food Pantry, said it serves around 475 students per week. “We are always, every single week trying to purchase more food or trying to get more donations, so I think the need is very high at the moment,” Truong said.

Most of the items on their donation wish list are shelf-stable such as rice, pasta, rolled oats, spices, granola bars and more.

While you cannot volunteer at the Food Pantry, the Second Harvest Food Bank of Orange County offers volunteer opportunities, like helping out at the Harvest Solutions Farm in Irvine or its Irvine Distribution Center. Participants can help the food bank process food and send it out to the community.Second Harvest accepts monetary donations, and donors can enroll in a rewards program.

Meals on Wheels is also accepting volunteers. The program recently worked with Age Well to deliver over 800,000 meals to Orange County seniors in 2021.

In addition to volunteer opportunities, Age Well has an ongoing campaign to encourage people to make a tax-deductible gift for the holidays. These donations provide meals, services, support and access to critical care programs for seniors in Orange County. 

Another way to give back to the community is by donating to the Community Action Partnership of Orange County. Donors can “adopt a family” where they provide them with new clothes, toys, gifts or certificates. People can also host a physical or virtual food drive. 

To host a virtual food drive, people can share a link to Community Action Partnership of Orange County’s’s virtual food drive website to start fundraising. Those that collect physical food donations can fill out a form on Community Action Partnership of Orange County’s website to detail a pickup location.

In addition, the Fullerton Fire Department hosts an annual toy drive where donors can drop off new, unwrapped toys at any fire station, Fullerton City Hall, Fullerton Library or Community Center until Dec. 20.