Fullerton City Hall

Fullerton City Hall. (Eliza Green / Daily Titan)

As of 12:10 a.m., both of Fullerton’s propositions have not passed.

Measure S, which would have allowed for a 1.25% sales tax increase for community services, was opposed by over 57.7% of voters while 42.3% voted “Yes.” More than 29,000 voters voted against the sales tax increase.

This measure would fund community services like street repairs, maintaining emergency responses and public safety.

The sales tax rate will remain at the current 7.75%.

Bruce Whitaker, city council member, Jack Dean, the president of the Fullerton Association of Concerned Taxpayers, and Gregory Sebourn, the former mayor of Fullerton, all signed in opposition to the measure, and argued that the revenue generated from the tax increase would be used to bail out city council management decisions.

Supporters argued that this measure is projected to generate over $25 million a year for community expenses at a time when Fullerton is experiencing financial issues.

During a city council meeting on Sept. 15, city manager Ken Domer said that without the passage of Measure S, cuts to the city’s expenditures every year would need to total $5 million in order to stay afloat and require an additional $6 million in funding to maintain the roads.

Measure U, which would allow for the prohibition of firework sales, possession and use, has been opposed by 58.3% of voters as 41.7% voted “Yes” for the measure. Just over 30,000 voters decided to allow for the continued use of fireworks in the city of Fullerton, with around 21,000 votes supporting the ban on fireworks.

Safe and sane fireworks will continue to follow Resolution No. 2016-11, which was adopted in 2016 by the Fullerton City Council and sets rules for the use of fireworks within the city.

Mayor Jennifer Fitzgerald, councilmember Whitaker and business owner Larry Houser all opposed the measure, and argued that the sale of fireworks has produced around $2 million dollars for businesses and local nonprofits.

Those against the measure argued that banning the sale of fireworks would not stop residents from breaking the law and using them.

Safe and sane fireworks include those that cannot leave the ground or explode. Fireworks that are illegal both in Fullerton and California include cherry bombs, roman candles, firecrackers and bottle rockets.

Sparklers, snaps and smoke balls are classified as safe and sane and are allowed to be used and sold following specific laws and ordinances.

In Fullerton, fireworks may only be sold from July 1-4, and a person must be 16 years of age or older to purchase and use fireworks.