Vo Pretrial

Chris Chuyen Vo's pretrial is set for July 30 at the Santa Ana Central Justice Center. (Jonathan Phan / Daily Titan)

The pretrial for Chris Chuyen Vo, a former Cal State Fullerton employee who is charged with the fatal stabbing of coworker Steven Shek Keung Chan, has been scheduled for July 30. 

In August 2019, Chan, a former CSUF employee, was fatally stabbed in the parking lot outside of the College Park building. 

Judge Sheila Hanson presided over the court during the arraignment on Friday at the Santa Ana Central Justice Center. Vo was present and in custody at the arraignment. 

At the preliminary hearing on April 8, prosecutors alleged that Vo committed murder to avoid being discovered for embezzlement. 

Vo pleaded not guilty to the charges of murder and grand theft by embezzlement. He also denied the charges of personally using a deadly weapon, muder by means of lying in wait and murder for financial gain. 

Vo’s attorney, Kate Corrigan from the Corrigan Welbourn and Stokke law firm was present on behalf of her partner, T. Edward Welbourn. Corrigan proposed a pretrial on July 30 with a time waiver which she said Vo agreed to. 

Hanson told Vo that he is waiving his right to a jury trial within 60 days of August 27, including having a jury trial within any particular time frame entering a general time waiver. Hanson also reminded Vo that on July 30 or any day after, the general time waiver can be revoked by letting an open court know. 

Hanson ordered that Vo be present for July's pretrial. Hanson also signed a discovery protective order proposed by the prosecutor.

Vo will continue to be held without bail at the Theo Lacy Facility, a maximum-security jail complex located in the city of Orange.