Pieology

The Pieology and Starbucks located inside Cal State Fullerton's Titan Student Union are anticipated to reopen in the spring. (Bryan Corrales / Daily Titan)

Pieology and Starbucks Coffee located in the Titan Student Union are anticipated to re-open during the spring 2022 semester after being closed for over 16 months, said David Lynch, the director of campus dining in an email to the Daily Titan.

When in-person classes returned, students were able to visit restaurants at the TSU like Panda Express, Togo’s, and Juice-It-Up!, but Pieology noticeably kept its lights off. Access to Starbucks, located one floor below, was also closed off.

Lynch said the primary reasons why Pieology and Starbucks remain closed are due to staffing, required training, supply chain concerns and reduced student traffic.

“After being closed for 16+ months, re-opening involves a tremendous amount of time, effort and training,” Lynch said. “Since the locations were closed for so long, managers, supervisors and employees are required to be trained as if opening a new store. This process starts with Management Training programs that take place offsite and must be scheduled with other standard franchisee training.”

Lynch said that managers must be trained to preserve the safety of employees and customers by practicing COVID-19 protocols assigned by the Orange County Health Care Agency, passing food safety certifications through ServSafe, how to handle hazardous materials under EHS guidelines, and then finally earning their franchise certification.

In total, Cal State Fullerton has three Starbucks locations —  one inside Pollak Library, another on the first floor of the College of Business and Economics building and one inside the TSU that is yet to open.

Lynch said that each Starbucks has opened at different times, the first being the one inside Pollak Library because of its accessibility. The Starbucks in the Pollak Library has an exterior door allowing students to enter without having to go through the library while it was closed to the public.

He added that the College of Business and Economics Starbucks recently reopened with a minimal schedule.

Lynch said that there is currently no plan for new concepts, but they are constantly considering opportunities as space becomes available. 

“Pieology and Hibachi-San are still relatively new as they were completed just before the pre-pandemic,” Lynch said. “There is a constant rotation of mobile food trucks in Humanities Plaza.”