servy girls-2

(Kason Clark / Daily Titan)

The Cal State Fullerton women’s tennis started their duals match season Saturday at home with a victory over UC San Diego, 6-1. 

The Titans earned their first point of the day when they won two out of three in doubles. Eira Tobrand and Camila Garcia lost the first double to Rachel Wagner and Becky Chou, 6-1. 

CSUF  bounced back with victories in the second and third doubles matches. Genevieve Zeidan and YuSeung Suh beat Chloe Wight and Sophie Pearson, 6-2. The Titans then won on a tiebreaker when Jadie Acidera and Taylor Valenzuela beat Valeria Corral and Anu Bhadada, 7-6. 

CSUF Head Coach Dianne Matias said she wished her players got off to a hotter start in doubles. 

“In doubles, we need to do a better job of getting a quick start. It took us a while to get going,” Matias said.

The Titans went on to dominate in singles as they recorded five points to the Tritons’ one and secured the match victory. 

Zeidan led the Titans in the first singles match as she defeated Chou, 6-0, 6-0. Tobrand carried on CSUF’s success into the second single by defeating Pearson, 6-3, 6-2. 

Acidera’s win was complicated as she lost her first set to Wagner.  However, she bounced back in the second and third sets to win, 4-6, 6-4, 10-6. Suh clinched the fourth victory for the Titans in singles when she defeated Corral, 6-4, 6-3. 

Garcia lost her first set against Wight, 0-6. However she won the single, 6-3, 6-3, for CSUF’s fifth point of the match.

“It was a day where she really had to figure out a way to win,” Matias said. “You still got to figure out how you’re going to take care of this match and she did a great job of going to plan B.”

The only loss for the Titans came in the sixth single when Valenzuela lost to Bhadada 5-7, 1-6. 

Going into their next match, Matias said she hopes her team will improve in some areas. 

“We need to do a good job of just staying calm and keeping our balls low when we play aggressive players,” Matias said. 

The Titans will return to play at Titan Courts on Friday, hosting a dual match doubleheader against Marymount University at 9:30 a.m. and Concordia University at 1:30 p.m.