Yummy Drink

(Talia Cantley / Daily Titan)

As we quickly approach summer and Orange County’s temperatures rapidly rise, many self-isolators will be looking for cheap and easy ways to cool off at home. A fruity and delicious sangria is the perfect alcoholic beverage to get you in the summer mood and to bring to summer barbecues and pool parties — post-social distancing, that is.

This sangria is especially easy because strawberries and peaches are readily available during the summer season. With the addition of a few ice cubes, a glass of this fun drink is the perfect way to cool down during a heatwave.

Strawberries and peaches are easily two of the tastiest fruits, and they happen to be my two of my all-time favorites. Find a cute glass, and you’re all set for your summertime poolside Instagram photoshoots.

Strawberry Peach Sangria

Cooking Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:

• 1 bottle of white wine
  • ½ cup white rum
  • ¼ cup peach schnapps
  • ¼ cup simple syrup
  • 1 cup of soda water, Sprite or 7Up
  • 1 cup sliced strawberries, plus a few extra slices for garnishing
  • 1 diced peach (when in season), plus a few extra slices for garnishing

Directions:

1. Combine the white wine, rum, peach schnapps and simple syrup in a pitcher.
  2. Refrigerate the sangria until it’s ready to be served.
  3. Before serving, pour the sangria into individual glasses and add strawberry and peach slices to the rims for decoration.

Creating recipes and stories to go along with them this semester has brought out my cooking and baking creativity. It has been so fun to share my experiences with Tuffy’s Table readers. Initially inspired by the Los Angeles Times Cooking section, I thought it would be a great idea to create something for college students who are usually on a budget and usually in a time crunch.

I hope those who have read or tried one of my easy and fun recipes have learned a thing or two and gotten some cooking or baking practice in, and have used them as an activity to complete with others. 

In the midst of self-isolation and quarantine due to COVID-19, cooking is a good way to spend time with others and keep busy.  Still, I hope I am able to see friends and family this summer, and I hope everyone has a safe and happy few months off from the stress this hectic semester has brought on.