couples Covid

(Rebecca Mena / Daily Titan) 

It is rare to meet someone that you romantically connect with and are able to withstand for more than 24 hours. If you are lucky enough to build an unbreakable bond with your partner, some might say you found your soulmate. In the most cliche way, I find myself to be the luckiest of them all. 

Christian and I have been together for almost 12 years and wed last year right before cases of COVID-19 were first reported. If I knew we would be in a global pandemic and be forced to spend more time with those in our household than ever before, I would not have changed a single thing. 

The COVID-19 pandemic has caused trauma for many families, from job losses to the deaths of loved ones. To be faced with such difficulties in any marriage is strenuous on the relationship, but to face dilemmas after getting married can be even more challenging.  

My husband and I had a decade behind us before we decided to get hitched, so we did not consider ourselves newlyweds. When we began to witness the world around us delve into a frenzy of panic, we leaned on each other more than ever. 

We have lived together for 11 years, but this is the first year that we had to be around each other for long periods of time. In previous years, we maintained our own friendships, hobbies and goals while being each other’s backbone at the same time. 

We reserved time for ourselves, whether that be guys’ night out or a sip-and-paint evening with the ladies. We always had a healthy balance of investing quality time together and being apart, until stay-at-home orders were implemented.

Christian and I had to develop a new aspect of our relationship which, like many others, has been difficult to come to terms with. We have had to learn to respect each other’s alone time and uncover new methods of keeping ourselves entertained without breathing down each other’s necks. 

Working on little projects around our home has been a great outlet for us to interact without overdoing it. We would plan to remodel a room in our house and then go off into our own corners to look into styles, furniture, layouts and other aspects of remodeling. At the end of the day, we would sit and discuss the ideas we had come up with.

Another tool we have depended on is our shared smart-aleck sense of humor. We have developed this unspoken language where we can look at each other and know exactly what cheeky remark the other is thinking of. 

Do not be misled, Christian and I have learned many hard life lessons over the years, both as partners and as individuals. However, we felt we reached a point in our relationship where we shared more funny moments than arguments, had deeper and more honest conversations and developed a strong support system for each other. 

With these tools under our belt, we have been able to bring out the best of every stay-at-home order and social restriction that has been imposed this past year. The hardships brought on by COVID-19 have made my husband and I develop a new appreciation for each other. 

No matter what the world throws your way, know that you and your partner will persevere as long as you strengthen your communication, always find something to laugh at and be each other's biggest supporter.