(Jordan Mendoza / Daily Titan)

(Jordan Mendoza / Daily Titan)

Cal State Fullerton’s softball team held an inter-squad scrimmage Friday night to kick off their nine-game fall schedule.

Despite the navy team winning with the final score of 6-2, Titans on both the navy and white teams previewed an aggressive style of play that they are sure to bring to the plate this season.

Early in the game, sophomore Dani Martinez had trouble locating her pitches but was picked up by an amazing display of defense by junior shortstop Sam Kennedy, ranging to her right on a ground ball and making a strong throw to get the runner at first.

The white squad was the first to score. In the bottom half of the first inning, a leadoff double by senior Kelsie Whitmore and a sacrifice bunt by sophomore Evelyn Sablan put a runner on third for redshirt junior Ari Burns. Burns then roped a double down the third-base line to score in Whitmore.

After retiring five straight batters, including two strikeouts, Martinez gave up a home run to junior Janelle Rodriguez.

Martinez’s location troubles caught up to her in the third as well, when navy squad leadoff hitter Megan Delgadillo worked a walk. The walk proved to be costly as the next batter, sophomore Alexa Neil, tripled in Delgadillo and the white squad never regained the lead after that.

Senior Sophie Frost experienced her own sort of pitching woes as she was called for an illegal pitch multiple times. Frost smiled it off and continued her dominance from last season where she posted a 2.61 ERA in 123.1 innings pitched.

Janelle Rodriguez came into relief in the top of the sixth inning and closed the game out. Since an exhibition game allows the rules to be altered a bit, Rodriguez stayed on the mound to face both teams to end the game.

After surrendering four doubles and three runs to the navy team, Rodriguez settled in quite nicely and neither teams scored after that.

The 2-2 score through four innings proved that this team takes pride in playing clean defense to back up their pitcher.

Even with the pitching troubles, this scrimmage proved how tough these Titans are going to be to beat during the 2020 season.

The Titans will continue their fall schedule when they travel to Bakersfield on Saturday, Oct. 12 for a double header against Fresno State and Cal State Bakersfield.