eliza.becca_DAillustration

(Cindy Proaño / Daily Titan)

If there is anything more unifying than friendship bracelets and mood rings found in the back of girly teens, tweens and everything in between, it’s the thrill of sharing an experience.

During this pandemic, it’s absolutely appropriate to state an exaggeration such as, “The whole world is watching.”

At the time this article was written, there were more than a million active coronavirus cases and more than 88,000 coronavirus-related deaths.

This tragedy is unavoidable. It’s all over social media, news networks and the faces of people lined up outside of local grocery stores, geared up in gloves and masks.

Of course, when the whole world seems to be collapsing, people cannot help but get aggressive with essential workers by demanding the most out of a worker’s ability. Paranoia and desperation bring out the worst in people, and in the thick of a pandemic, this fact is all too real.

Although people are preaching kindness and sympathy are preached at every corner of our eyes, those corny renditions of John Lennon’s “Imagine” are thrown out the window when the public is placed under organized reforms and social pressures.

However, people need to stand together during this time, as Asian American communities are subjected to racist attacks, healthcare workers share their harrowing stories and the people close to us — especially those in black and Latino communities — join the rising numbers of unemployment and COVID-19 cases and deaths.

There’s no way to sugarcoat how this year is going so far. It sucks, but there’s still room for optimism.

There’s a clear divide between U.S. citizens when it comes to the pandemic and President Trump’s management of the country’s quarantine.

An NPR/PBS/Marist poll published in March showed that the American public was nearly split down the middle when asked about this topic. Within eight weeks, the poll found that more Americans disapprove of Trump’s handling of the COVID-19 pandemic by a 49% to 44% margin.

To make matters worse, both political parties are fighting like two children in a long and needless dispute over who has the higher ground. One group argues that the virus is a tremendous threat to themselves and their loved ones, while the other argues that it is nothing but an elaborate lie.

Despite the divide, the danger of coronavirus is obvious, and both the Democrat and Republican parties are finally catching on and seeing eye-to-eye. In one week, 63% of Democrats and 49% of Republicans considered the pandemic to be threatening. After several days, those numbers went up to 76% for Democrats and 63% for Republicans.

Regardless of political affiliation, everyone is on the same side in the war against this nasty virus.

Considering the huge blows the U.S. economy has taken over these past few weeks, Congress and the Trump administration have started giving out one-time payments to low-income families and individuals, with talks of a second aid package to follow suit.

However, the exclusion of some Americans from the aid package is enough to shatter the smallest illusion of relief.

This is just the peak of a melting iceberg that will soon expose the many mistakes made in the handling of this pandemic, but it may also pave the way to a new lifestyle — one in which, when push comes to shove, everyone can receive much more federal aid than they already do.

It’s apparent that when we’re affected by something as massive and terrible as the COVID-19 pandemic, our fight-or-flight instincts kick in, and we often go with the first option: attacking each other. Instead, it’s best for everyone to unite and share their pain through this stressful time. People must fight against the wrongs that destroy many individual’s rights. Now is the time for people to fly up and obtain greater heights of health and personal economic relief in unity.

Because individually doing so will have the death rate laughing at humanity’s face.