Letter to the Editor Fall 2017

The phrase “For the many, not the Jew” appeared on a electrical city box on Tuesday outside of College Park. It brought with it the reminder that hate still has a voice, and far worse, it has  found a way to speak on our campus.

The vandalized electrical box was downstairs from the Daily Titan newsroom, and feet away from a building frequented by Cal State Fullerton students.

While a written message may not seem like cause for concern, it occurs on the heels of a mass shooting at a synagogue in Pennsylvania as well as a string of anti-Semitic acts that occurred in Orange County over the last month.

It also brings anti-Semitism right to our campus a little over a week after local Jewish communities held a vigil at Becker Amphitheater for the 11 people killed in the Tree of Life synagogue shooting.

The message was scrawled in what appeared to be black marker, which would suggest that whoever wrote it did so in a careless manner and without much thought for how their message would be received.

In a time when white supremacist propaganda on college campuses has been increasing, especially in California, hateful messages like these can’t be taken lightly.

With so much hate in the nation, our campus should work to remain a safe place of acceptance, growth and knowledge, where people from all backgrounds can come to better themselves and their futures.

While the message isn’t a direct threat and wasn’t deemed as a hate crime by University Police, its intent is inherently hateful and shouldn’t be tolerated.

We cannot allow hate to be normalized in any capacity, furthering the deep divisions that have already embedded themselves into this nation.

This university is one of the most diverse college campuses in the state, and students, faculty and staff have a responsibility to stand against anti-Semitism and other forms of hate in solidarity.