Fashion trends and larger chests image

(Arianne Haban / Daily Titan)

Outfit malfunctions have become a routine headache for women with bigger busts. Slipping on the cutest crop top or bikini top spirals into chaos; the dreamy image of oneself dressed to kill in stylish attire shatters once their bra cup size does not make the cut. 

This perpetual cycle of disappointment is the result of fashion trends specifically catered toward women with smaller chests. It appears as though the fashion industry excludes big-breasted women who solely desire to select chic clothing that accommodates their busts. 

Models with smaller breasts heighten body insecurities and ingrain the stigma that women with bigger breasts are not valued. Clothing brands should design and manufacture apparel that supports bigger busts. With the fashion industry taking strides to support women, their confidence would soar if buttons would not pop and zippers would fasten. 

According to an article by Insider, Viren Swami, a professor of social psychology at Anglia Ruskin University in England, collaborated with global researchers, recruiting 18,541 women from 40 distinct nations with an average age of 34. 

The researching process examined women who evaluated photos of breasts and were asked to identify a match to their own size. Additionally, they were asked what size they would prefer to have, along with their self-perception on their body weight, physical appearance and media consumption.

The study revealed that 71% of women were dissatisfied with their cup size. With this in mind, the fashion industry has only reduced the availability of well-fitting clothing. As women rummage through the racks, eyeballing plunging necklines, wraparound halters and leather camis, they slowly slide down into the dumps, knowing that they are booted from clothing lines. 

According to the Journal of Consumer Culture, “at the origin of the tyranny of thinness there is, among other things, a technological development in the production of fashion, namely, the application of the sizing system to the manufacture of clothing.” The irony of fashion trends’ preferences toward smaller figures and the mainstream culture’s ideal for larger chests collided to promote fashion trends that a sizable proportion of women cannot enjoy. 

The sizing system is not inclusive for women with bigger busts. For instance, Forever 21’s top selection entails crop tops with underwire specifically tailored for smaller breasts. Daintier pieces rest uncomfortably on the fullest part of someone’s chest instead of supporting it. The built-in underwire not only pokes under the breast, but it also shows the inequity of fashion. 

The fashion industry has to rethink the sizing system, because the visibility toward not accounting for women of different sizes is unacceptable. Women with slimmer figures are hoisted on a bedazzled pedestal while the reality of body diversity is neglected. 

Some may argue that women with bigger busts can squish into larger versions of teeny outfits, initiating a trend with current fashion standards. 

This, however, entirely misses the point that not all clothing lines have altered the piece’s silhouette, which is the outline of a person’s body frame, determining which parts of the body should be emphasized and what should be hidden. 

The silhouette does not curve nor scoop under women’s busts. Simply enlarging or elongating pieces to fit larger body types is not enough to create clothing that flatters women of every size. Yet, the fashion industry glosses over garments that do not grace women with bigger busts. 

Women with bigger busts sigh at the sight of child-like tops being offered on the shelves. Rather, the fashion industry should also sell and embrace off-the-shoulder tops, wrap dresses and cowl necklines that elegantly flatter the chest. 

Ultimately, there should be no need for women to size up, feeding into the inequitable sizing system. Women with bigger busts have suffered long enough from the disparity in options compared to their thinner peers. Sizing changes must come from clothing brands and retailers alike to not only promote inclusivity, but also to broaden their market. 

The ease of being able to shop without having to worry about accommodating tops is not just a dream, but a reality that can easily be met if the fashion industry designs properly fitting and flattering clothing items.