A botched execution isn’t all that uncommon in America, thanks to the instability of state laws regarding the death penalty. Instead of forcing certain inmates to suffer, essentially instituting torture, one efficient and quick method to execute prisoners needs to be determined.

With 32 states having one of five forms of the death penalty, according to Statistic Brain, the chances of something going wrong are higher than Americans should accept.

While mismanaged executions account for nearly 3 percent of all executions, according to deathpenaltyinfo.org, there are still 276 deaths recorded over 120 years that have gone horribly wrong considering all methods of execution.

The death penalty should continue to use lethal injection, but without the cocktail of drugs used that make people suffer. Seventy-five people have suffered from botched lethal injections, according to Sarat, which is less than every other execution method.

While America is clearly on the right path by mainly using lethal injections, the formula needs to be improved.

The problem with a random mix of drugs is that every person is different in terms of height, weight and tolerance. There’s no way to tell which drugs will cause the desired effect needed.

In 1994, a prison inmate suffered for 13 minutes after a lethal injection of mixed drugs in Alabama, according to Vice News. The same article reports that two lengthy deaths happened in Oklahoma in 2014. The drug cocktail used for all three contained the same failed drug of midazolam, Vice reported.

If America is going to continue executing death row inmates, we need a more sound way to humanely kill dangerous criminals. One strong sedative drug that would simply put them to sleep forever is the ideal choice for lethal injection.

While those on death row have committed terrible crimes, they do not deserve to suffer, often in front of others. Lethal injections need to be quick, painless and must continue to be the main way to execute death row inmates.

With Mississippi considering renewing the use of a firing squad and gas chambers, according to the Washington Examiner, a new and blanket regulation and strict enforcement of those regulations needs to become the standard.

America shouldn’t put people to death in such a barbaric manner. Death by firing squad is a gruesome way to die, not to mention costly.

The 2010 execution of Ronnie Lee Gardner by firing squad cost Utah about $165,000, according to the Salt Lake Tribune.

For comparison, Vice reported that the cost of the tools needed to end a person’s life with pentobarbital, a powerful sedative, costs around $861.60. This is a drop in the bucket compared to the firing squad method.

While lethal injections are by far the best option, they still need major improvements.

Considering there is a record of a lethal injections failing for over 100 years, the federal government should’ve taken that as a hint to figure out something better than a drug cocktail to kill someone.

With that in mind, it makes sense that one strong sedative would be the most humane way for a first-world country to punish inmates on death row. It’s imperative to reign with an iron fist of justice, but the United States should do so with consistency and humanity.