worldgraph

A chart illustrating population growth throughout the last century. (Rebecca Mena / Daily Titan)

In a world rotting away due to the impact of civilization, population control is the solution.

While it seems a morbid solution to the chaos mankind has created, the reality is that everyone supports population control one way or another, consciously or subconsciously. 

This is because population control is arguably the political interest of parties advocating abortion, as well as parties pushing for immigration policy, and with both policies being on opposite sides of the political spectrum, no one is exempt from advocating population control.

The size of the human population is limited by natural resources, diseases and other environmental factors. While nature regulates population, social structures further affect population growth, such as the customs and ideologies that govern reproduction, as well as the advancement of medicine and public health, which have reduced the relevance of mortality and extended the average life span.

The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines overpopulation as “the condition of having a population so dense as to cause environmental deterioration, an impaired quality of life, or a population crash.”

The world suffers from all three: deforestation for cultivation and urbanization, the slums all over the world and modern territorial disputes.

While overpopulation is evident, the idea of population control continues to be taboo, generating controversy due to the methods of infanticide and oppression. The atrocities attached to the concept of population control are by no means justifiable, but the concept itself is important to preserve all lives.

In 1928, there were reportedly 2 billion people on the planet, and the global population has reached 7.7 billion in 2019, according to Our World in Data, which provides research and data about disease, hunger and existential risks. 

In three centuries, the world has seen the deforestation of countless acres of land, the industrialization of society leading to lasting pollution and the extinction of at least 60,000 species, according to the World Wildlife Fund. 

The last century saw the legalization of abortion in the U.S. in 1973. 

Infanticide, or the act of deliberately causing the death of young children, is often correlated with population control, and there are those who consider abortion a form of infanticide. 

While individuals who support abortion-rights would disagree that abortion is a personal choice, or that it doesn’t cause the death of a born child, they overlook the political interest of parties promoting abortion. It is more commonly promoted among minority populations of low resource, according to the American Journal of Public Health. 

Abortion is a political interest and political parties advocating abortion-rights are pushing for a means of population control. Political parties target minorities when persuading for population control, as if abortion were an advertisement like those of retail stores filling Instagram feeds.

In other words, liberal governments indirectly push population control through the promotion of abortion-rights, while also advocating for immigration, while conservative governments typically oppose abortion, but push for population control through immigration policies. 

Immigration policies clearly control population, for better or worse. However, while immigration is more simply thought of as the crossing of borders, migration plays a part in national population control as well, incentivizing people to move around and decentralize cities.

When addressing immigration, it’s important to note that immigrants gravitate towards the inner city because of the high employment opportunities. However, the centralization of immigration with little-to-no economic standing has historically proven to concentrate immigrant poverty within the metropolitan cities, such as the neighborhoods in south Los Angeles. 

Decentralizing population is a form of population control as well, and it not only generates the possibility of job opportunities elsewhere, but it can also stimulate the economies of rural regions. In addition, decentralization allows for a more participatory democracy as well. 

Population control is not bad. Its methods may be arguably immoral, however, the reason for which population control is vital to the survival of this planet is an interest that transcends politics and religion alike. It’s time the conversation shifted.