Court of Wikimedia_org1

(Courtesy of Wikimedia)

In what was arguably the most politically-charged Super Bowl ever, it’s no surprise that various companies aimed their commercials at President Donald J. Trump with pro-inclusion dialogue.

With more than 111.9 million people watching Super Bowl LI, according to Nielsen ratings guide, America’s most anticipated game of the year became the perfect platform for industries and companies to voice their opinions and make it known that they, too, will not stand for the division that Trump’s presidency has brought thus far.

The event garnered 16.9 million Twitter reactions, according to Nielsen, and some of the tweets expressed the needlessness of the inclusive-centered ads and the improper placement of such politically-charged advertisements.

Ads shown during the big game are almost as attention grabbing as the game itself. These Twitter dissenters have failed to recognize that it is the perfect medium to push important messages and sentiments.

Calculated shots were taken at Trump from companies that paid around $5 million–a record breaking price–for a coveted 30-second ad spot, according to Nielsen.

Among several others, AirBnB and Budweiser tackled the issues this recent political nightmare has brought about.

The message being to stand in solidarity against a political system that has been quick to point at a specific religion and call it the enemy.

While the left rejoiced for inclusivity, the right scowled, taking to social media to voice their complaints of the so-called propaganda.

What was meant to be a feel-good ad from AirBnB that touches on the simple needs of humanity somehow caused people to get flagrantly volatile.

The hashtag #WeAccept–which was trending during the game on both Facebook and Twitter–is mixed with tweets of good natured individuals and Trump trolls. The hashtag #BoycottBudweiser appeared on Twitter’s trending list as of Monday morning.

Not all of the reactions to these commercials had to do with Trump. A 2013 Ram commercial titled “So God Made a Farmer” began trending on Facebook, eventually gathering around 20,000 people mentioning it.

The commercial showed images of farmers and Ram trucks with famous radio broadcaster Paul Harvey reciting a bible-like verse and lauding farmers for their stoic and steadfast character.

And on the eighth day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer.

God said, "I need somebody willing to get up before dawn, milk cows, work all day in the field, milk cows again, eat supper, then go to town and stay past midnight at a meeting of the school board." So God made a farmer.

God said, "I need somebody willing to sit up all night with a newborn colt and watch it die, then dry his eyes and say,'Maybe next year,' I need somebody who can shape an ax handle from an ash tree, shoe a horse with hunk of car tire, who can make a harness out hay wire, feed sacks and shoe scraps. Who, during planting time and harvest season will finish his 40-hour week by Tuesday noon and then, paining from tractor back, put in another 72 hours." So God made the farmer.

God said, "I need somebody strong enough to clear trees and heave bales, yet gentle enough to yean lambs and wean pigs and tend the pink-comb pullets, who will stop his mower for an hour to splint the leg of a meadowlark."

It had to be somebody who'd plow deep and straight and not cut corners. Somebody to seed, weed, feed, breed, and brake, and disk, and plow, and plant, and tie the fleece and strain the milk, . Somebody who'd bale a family together with the soft, strong bonds of sharing, who would laugh, and then sigh and then reply with smiling eyes when his son says that he wants to spend his life doing what Dad does. "So God made a farmer."

The problem here comes from the contradictory ideals that are being praised. While commercials like AirBnb’s tried to promote inclusiveness through acceptance, no matter what color or religion a person is, only 9,600 people on Facebook were discussing it.

While the teachings of the bible express a duty to welcome strangers, the very ad that idealizes those sentiments is being ignored.

We should celebrate diversity in this country, not try to rip it away from the people who have come here for a better life.

This American tradition, the Super Bowl, became the perfect host to spreading awareness and promoting inclusivity in a time of need. But thanks to those who continue to defy any logical arguments against the one called president, these waves are met by a big wall.