vaccine requirements illustration

(Margaret Tran / Daily Titan)

California State Universities recently announced plans to make the COVID-19 vaccines a requirement for all students and faculty in the fall semester. This has caused quite the stir since some people do not trust the vaccines and are questioning the motives behind the decision. 

While the announcement can be seen as an unnecessary pressure for those who do not plan to get vaccinated, this is the best way for Cal State Fullerton to stay safe and move closer toward normalcy.

As proved by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, vaccinations can help stop the spread of COVID-19 and keep those who do contract it from experiencing potentially life-threatening symptoms. The vaccine provides people’s immune systems with the battle plan to fight the virus if it does enter their body. This is necessary for a school with a student population of 41,408 enrolled students as of last semester.

If people receive vaccinations, follow social distancing guidelines and wear masks at all times on campus, the virus should not spread in large numbers. This is incredibly important as it can offer students peace of mind that they are safe while on campus. Students will be able to focus on learning and not on potential COVID-19 infection, ensuring a productive learning environment. 

Requiring vaccinations means there is a greater chance that the CSUF campus will remain open throughout the fall semester and semesters to come. The original plan proposed by Cal State Fullerton was to regularly test non-vaccinated students and faculty for COVID-19. While this method might keep the university up to date with any potential cases on campus, it does not in any way prevent COVID-19 from reaching the school. By taking a proactive approach, CSUF administrators are ensuring safety among students and faculty before they come into contact with one another. 

It is crucial for immunizations to be required due to the fact that adults ages from 20-49 have largely been responsible for the spread of COVID-19. According to ABC News, this age group has unfortunately been responsible for 70% of the spread of the virus in the United States last year. Had they taken the pandemic more seriously and followed restrictions, the pandemic might not have been as extreme or lasted as long. It is time for young adults to take action against COVID-19. 

While COVID-19 vaccinations offer hope for some, others experience worry about possible side effects. The CDC has recently noted that roughly seven in 1 million women ages 18-49 who receive the Johnson & Johnson vaccine will experience a severe blood clot issue. While this statistic has raised alarms for many, it is important to remember that everyday actions like smoking and drinking alcohol are much more likely to cause death — yet, people do it anyway. 

Johnson & Johnson has been the only COVID-19 vaccine to be known to potentially cause a life-threatening symptom. With a very slim chance of a blood clot and three vaccines to choose from, CSUF students and faculty should not worry or be upset by the school’s vaccine requirement. 

Despite what some opposers may say, vaccine requirements on campuses as large as CSUF’s are necessary for reducing the spread of COVID-19. With the exception of students whose medical history or religion prevents them from receiving a vaccination, an all-vaccinated campus seems to be on its way. By requiring vaccinations for on-campus students and faculty, COVID-19 may be stopped in its tracks — at least at CSUF.