2463919991_d642ce5f57_m

Taking a break after graduation is a great idea to relax and recuperate from all the stress. (Courtesy of Flickr user jamelah e.)

As graduation inches closer every day, many students are worried about their future. The entire objective in school is to prepare students with the necessary skills to land a job. But in a job market so bleak, students shouldn’t feel ashamed if they haven’t landed a job come graduation. There are so many options to consider, only one of which is working on a career.

Finishing college is a great accomplishment, but by this time, brains are exhausted and motivation levels have been thoroughly spent along the way. Taking a year off after graduation is by far the greatest opportunity to recharge that tired brain and regain ambition. You deserve it.

Many students choose to pursue graduate school or even an internship, which is a great start, but don’t despair if these aren’t available options. Taking a break after graduation doesn’t mean pushing off a career; it’s an opportunity to take a breather and relax.

Travel, explore, learn how to cook, indulge in an unforgettable endeavor or perhaps keep working at your current job. Even though that’s nothing exciting, it provides a chance to clear the mind and refuel for the next endeavor while gaining some financial stability.

Most college graduates don’t have a clue as to what they’re going to do after graduation. Instead, take this time to focus on yourself. Whether that means going on hikes everyday, lounging around the pool or catching up on your Netflix queue, just relax and go with the flow.

Another reason to take a year off is to beef up that resume. Get an internship somewhere, polish your career skills, and continue into the workforce as a motivated, dedicated individual ready to thrive. There is no need to feel forced about giving a thrilling response when asked about your plans after graduation. Lounging around figuring out what to do next is perfectly acceptable.

Taking a year off is a great time to just be lazy and only worry about yourself. You can finally spend more time with loved ones instead of rushing to class and commuting to work. Take a nice, long breather from the stress school has brought your entire life and explore what life has to offer. It can be as exciting as travelling to another country, or as simple as relaxing at a coffee shop or hanging out with friends.

Don’t be afraid to take a year off. We’re not supposed to have all the answers right now. Your twenties are supposed to be about discovering yourself. Besides, you’ve already accomplished something—earning a degree—so pat yourself on the back and give yourself a much needed vacation. You have your whole life to work hard. Life is short—get out there and enjoy yourself.