feetbowl by eliza green

(Eliza Green / Daily Titan)

As Southern California schools like UCLA, USC and the University of San Diego have learned how their fall sports season will begin, Cal State Fullerton will have to wait another week to learn its fate. 

After announcing on June 15 that a decision on the state of fall sports would be made no later than July 20, the Big West announced Monday evening that they will make a decision on the fall 2020 season by Aug. 1. 

“We are being diligent in our approach focused on student-athlete safety and well-being, testing capabilities, medical and facility protocols, amongst many factors,” the board said in a press release. 

The announcement comes as athletic conferences throughout the NCAA are deciding on whether fall sports will begin as scheduled, or be delayed and even postponed as COVID-19 cases continue to rise throughout the country, including California.

Users on social media shared their displeasure with the delay of a decision, as some sports are set to start the 2020 seasons within the next month. 

In 2019, the women’s soccer team was the first team at CSUF to play in the fall, as they began their regular season on Aug. 22. They announced last year’s schedule on June 13, and while the school has yet to announce the 2020 slate, head coach Demian Brown said in May that the first game of the season was scheduled for Aug. 20.

The Pac-12 and West Coast Conference have made decisions on what their conference members will be doing for the fall season. The Pac-12 announced on July 10 that its members would participate in conference-only schedules as well as a delayed start to athletic activities. On Thursday, the West Coast Conference announced that no team will participate in any competition until Sept. 24.

Earlier on Monday, the California Interscholastic Federation, otherwise known as CIF, said that high school sports in the state will not begin until December or January 2021.

Should the Big West move to a conference-only schedule, CSUF would not have to leave California unless it were to play an away game at Hawaii. If the seasons were delayed, both men’s and women’s soccer and golf, women’s volleyball and cross country could be affected.