Caden Connor

Caden Connor, seen here on April 10, recorded the go-ahead RBIs in the Titan's win on Sunday against UC Davis. (Andre Gomez / Daily Titan)

Cal State Fullerton baseball picked up another series victory, this time against UC Davis, winning three out of four games on the road against the Aggies. 

With the series finale on Sunday, Fullerton stole the deciding matchup from Davis in the eighth inning when the Titans scored three runs to take a 7-6 lead and eventually clinch the series. 

Fullerton’s Caden Connor recorded the winning RBIs, bringing in two runners home off a double. The freshman outfielder has put up impressive numbers in his first collegiate season, maintaining a .333 batting average in addition to 18 RBIs on the season. 

The series opened on Friday with a Fullerton victory, with the Titans’ offense putting up nine runs and 13 hits in their 9-3 rout over the Aggies.

Already ahead 2-0, Fullerton surged in the fifth inning where they recorded five runs in the fifth inning. Brendan Bobo put a stamp on their scoring spree with a three-run home run, his third of the season. 

Pitcher Tanner Bibee provided a solid performance for Fullerton in his start, earning the win through seven innings of work while allowing five hits and three runs. Landon Anderson performed well in his two innings of relief, as he struck out four batters without giving up a run or a hit. 

Jason Brandow was effective at the plate, batting 3-5 with two RBIs. 

Saturday provided a doubleheader, where Davis was able to rebound from their loss the night before on their way to a 9-7 victory in comeback fashion.

After Fullerton took a 5-2 lead in the top of the fifth, Davis quickly flipped the script and scored five runs in the inning to take the go-ahead lead. The Aggies managed to add a run in each of the next two innings to extend their lead. 

Although Fullerton was able to add a pair of runs in the eighth inning, Davis pitcher Nick Johnson kept the Titans from adding any more, retiring the side and closing out the game. 

Saturday’s second game followed shortly after, and while the first two contests saw both offenses light up the scoreboard, game three of the series was a defensive battle that came down to the final inning, as Fullerton took the 2-1 victory. 

It was pitchers’ duel between Fullerton’s Michael Knorr and Davis’ Tim Wieser, who kept both of the team’s batters from generating much offense. Knorr came out the victor in the matchup, earning the win over his counterpart. Through eight innings, he only gave up five hits and one run while striking out five batters. 

Down 1-0 in the ninth inning, Fullerton put runners on the corners, which gave Cole Urman the opportunity to take the go-ahead lead and the eventual victory with a two run RBI single.

After starting their season 4-12, the Titans have crept their way to a near .500 overall record of 15-16 in the midst of conference play. Fullerton has a 8-4 record during Big West competition, good for third place in the conference. 

The Titans continue their conference slate this weekend with a four-game series against Cal State Northridge. Game one of the series is scheduled to start on Friday at 3 p.m.