Tanner Bibee

Tanner Bibee, seen here on April 9, gave up three hits and two runs in his home start on Friday. (Adam Maldonado / Daily Titan)

After starting the weekend with a walk-off victory in the 16th inning on Friday, Cal State Fullerton failed to replicate their late game heroics for the rest of their home series against UC San Diego Tritons.

The Tritons won the final three games of the four-game series at Goodwin Field, capping their gentleman’s sweep with a 6-1 victory on Sunday. 

Although Fullerton matched San Diego with eight hits, the Titan’s failed to convert runs in multiple scoring opportunities.The Tritons’ defense was steadfast as they held runners in scoring positions in five separate innings.

Brandon Weed anchored the Tritons defense as he struck out nine batters. Through seven innings pitched, Weed gave up seven hits and one run while earning the victory for the afternoon. 

Fullerton’s Wyatt Johnson got the starting nod and kept San Diego’s bats at bay. He gave up three hits and no runs through four innings before being pulled from the mound. The Titans’ bullpen failed to keep stride with their starting pitcher and allowed the Triton’s to hang six runs on Fullerton’s relief pitchers. 

Through six scoreless innings, San Diego put the first run on the board with an RBI single by Blake Bumgartner. A bases-loaded opportunity allowed a hit-by-pitch to bring in the Tritons’ second run. 

The Titans’ recorded their lone run of the game in the bottom of the sixth inning. CSUF’s Nate Nankil earned the RBI single which brought home Josh Urps on the play. 

San Diego extended their lead in the seventh inning with a two-run home run by Tate Soderstrom. The Tritons put the final nail in the coffin in the ninth inning with another two-run home run, this time by catcher Aaron Kim that sealed the victory. 

Fullerton earned a 6-3 victory on Friday that came down to extra innings for a winner to be decided. Deylan Pigford gave the Titans the victory with a walk-off three-run home run in the 16th inning, which gave the Titans their only win of the series. 

DuringSaturday’s doubleheader, the Titan’s took a 5-2 defeat in game one and a 7-5 loss in game two. 

For the second consecutive weekend, Fullerton has endured a three-game losing streak against conference opponents when closing out their four-game series. Prior to conference play, Fullerton was treading well below a .500 record, but found their stride against Big West competition, moving to third place in the conference standings just last week. 

Now following two pairs of three-game losing streaks by the hands of Hawai’i last week and San Diego, Fullerton now stands in seventh place with a 12-12 in the Big West, with a 19-24 overall record.

The Titans will hit the road for their next matchup against Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, where the Mustangs will host the Titans for a four game series at Baggette Stadium. Game one of the series will start on Friday at 5 p.m. Saturday will present a doubleheader with the first game at 1 p.m. before the series finale on Sunday, which is also set for 1 p.m.

Managing Editor F20; Reporter & Sports Editor S21