Cal State Fullerton baseball has begun a new era under head coach Jason Dietrich.

Dietrich, a 1999 CSUF graduate, was hired in July to become the sixth head coach in the program’s Division 1 history. He replaces Rick Vanderhook, who spent the last 10 years as the head coach.

Dietrich brings 14 years of Division 1 experience with him, after coaching at UC Irvine, University of Oregon, and four seasons as the pitching coach at CSUF from 2013-16.

Most recently, Dietrich was the pitching coach at Eastern Carolina University for the last two years. ECU led the American Athletic Conference last season in several pitching categories including earned run average, strikeouts and wins.

Dietrich has never been a head coach, but he has coached under several hall-of-fame caliber head coaches including American Baseball Coaches Association Hall of Famer Mike Gillespie at UC Irvine, George Horton at Oregon and Vanderhook at CSUF.

Titan outfielder Jason Brandow said he is excited about what Dietrich brings to the program.

“I was excited. I’ve actually heard a lot about Dietrich and his role here in prior years so when I heard that he was going to be our new head coach, I was super excited,” Brandow said.

Fellow outfielder Deyland Pigford said he hopes that the Titans’ supporters can rally around the team once again after a few years of competitive decline.

“We struggled for a couple of years so we just want to get the fan base behind us again and let them know we’re not giving up. We’re just going to keep getting better,” Pigford said.

For now, Dietrich said he knows that turning a program around is not an overnight change, but he will not stray away from the values that have gotten him to this position.

“I’m not going to try to be Augie Garrido. I’m not going to try to be George Horton. I’m not going to be Mike Gillespie,” Dietrich said. “You just got to be yourself and continuously work hard to grow as a person.”