CSUF Baseball

Tanner Bibee pitched a shutout on Sunday at Goodwin Field against USC. (CSUF Athletics)

Cal State Fullerton baseball lost, 10-4, against Pepperdine University on Sunday at Goodwin Field, and finished the weekend with a 1-2 record. 

Although the Titans’ numbers were competitive, as they tallied 10 hits to the Waves’ 13, Pepperdine capitalized on big play opportunities early on in the afternoon.

Pepperdine played tough in the first inning, as they put up four runs. After a leadoff walk, Billy Cook hit a two-run home run, which was followed by another two-run home run by Ryan Johnson. After two outs, the Titans made a pitching change from Peyton Jones, to Michael Knorr in hopes of getting some stops at the plate. 

However, the Waves continued to score through the top of the third inning. Justin Lutes added another home run while the Waves tacked on another to make the score 6-0. 

The Titans finally got on the board as they scored two runs at the bottom of the third inning. Connor Caden brought in their first run, off of an RBI groundout that brought home Zach Lew. 

Fullerton senior Isaiah Garcia hit his first home run of the season in the bottom of the third inning and cut the lead down to 6-2. He went on to add a second RBI in the fifth inning to help in Fullerton’s comeback efforts. For the afternoon, he went 1-5 at the plate with two RBIs. 

The Waves continued to dominate the field as they added extra insurance runs in both the fifth and sixth innings. As he scored one in the fifth and tacked on three more in the sixth, right fielder Ryan Johnson had a part in all of Pepperdine’s runs for the innings. 

After making his way home from a bunt in the fifth inning, he belted a three-RBI triple down the right field line in the sixth inning as the final nail in the coffin for Fullerton. He finished the outing as he went 4-5 and added five RBIs.

The Titans made a push in the sixth inning to threaten on the scoreboard. Nate Nankil and Omar Veloz provided back-to-back singles. Nankil eventually scored after Josh Urps singled, which brought the score to 10-4, but was not enough. 

CSUF started the weekend strong with a 5-0 victory at USC on Friday. The Titans’ ace pitcher Tanner Bibbe pitched a gem against the Trojans, as he threw a complete game shutout — his second shutout this season. He only gave up three hits and struck out five batters and walked none. 

While the game remained tied through four innings, he received some help from Fullerton’s offense in the fifth, sixth and eighth innings.

On Saturday, CSUF had a rematch with UCLA, after losing to them earlier in the week on Tuesday. The results were not much different, as the Bruins took another victory over the Titans, 6-1. In the two matchups against UCLA, Fullerton has only produced two runs on eight hits to the Bruins 20 runs and 19 hits.

With two losses in a row, the Titans will return to Goodwin field to play UCLA for the last time this season on Tuesday at 5 p.m.