Cal State Fullerton’s woes continued on Wednesday as the men’s soccer team fell 3-1 to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, bringing its losing streak to five games. 

After a hot start to the season, the Titans have been in a tailspin with their matchup against the Cal Poly Mustangs (5-6-1) being no different in a poor performance that saw them score two own goals. The game-winning goal came from Cal Poly’s Angel De Leon in the 23rd minute of the matchup.

The first half was eventful between the Titans and Mustangs as action started quickly with a shot on goal by CSUF’s Edward Salazar in the second minute before Cal Poly goalkeeper Carlos Arce-Hurtado came up with the save.

The Mustangs followed with a shot of their own less than a minute following Salazar’s attempt and it was blocked. 

The 15th minute saw the beginning of an offensive flurry coming from the Mustangs, starting with a corner kick from Cal Poly’s Freeman Dwamena. 

Quickly after in the 16th minute, Cal Poly’s Emmanuel Perez got a good look on a header attempt but it was saved by Titan goalkeeper Paul-Andre Guerin. 

Guerin came up with three saves in less than five minutes as the header attempt was followed up by two shots on goal coming from Mustang’s Diego Alonso and Kenneth Higgins. 

The Big West leader in saves hot start was crushed on a critical error by CSUF, as a back pass from teammate Clayton Torr slipped past Guerin and into the goal, giving Cal Poly the 1-0 lead on an own goal. 

The scoring for the Mustangs didn’t stop there as two minutes later in the 23rd minute De Leon scored a goal off an assist by Perez to give Cal Poly a commanding 2-0 lead. 

CSUF turned around and tried to answer Cal Poly’s scoring with three shots on goal between the 26th and 30th minute, but were all saved by Mustangs goalkeeper Arce-Hurtado. 

The Titans finally answered with a goal of their own on a shot from 20 yards out by Sebastian Cruz in the 36th minute off an assist by Owen Lambe to narrow the lead to 2-1. 

Coming out of halftime, the Mustangs continued their aggressive offensive play with six shots coming from them in the first 10 minutes. Two were on goal, coming from Perez and saved by Guerin. 

CSUF could not gain meaningful control of the ball and Perez of the Mustangs fired off another shot in the 57th minute, ricocheting off the goalkeeper and CSUF’s Jose Delgado into the goal to give the Mustangs the 3-1 lead on what was the second own goal of the game. 

The Titans could not do much offensively for the remainder of the game and the Mustangs secured the 3-1 victory. 

CSUF was outshot 18 to 7 by Cal Poly as the defense struggled to keep Cal Poly’s offense at bay.

Guerin managed to add eight saves to give him 63 on the season, leading the conference. 

The Titans now sit at 8-5-1 on the season and have yet to win a conference game (0-3), putting them at the bottom of the Big West standings. 

CSUF will look to turn things around on Oct. 19 as they travel to play Sacramento State at 2 p.m.