Women's soccer photo

CSUF women's soccer, pictured here against UCLA on Aug. 22, earned a spot in the Big West tournament. (CSUF Athletics)

Cal State Fullerton athletics had a busy month in October with some teams setting historic marks, earning a trip to the postseason and others are still in the midst of their seasons. With the calendar turning to November, here is how October played out for the active teams on campus:

Men’s and women’s cross country

CSUF men’s and women’s cross country squads had very strong outings over the span of their three meets in October.

The highlight of the month came on Oct. 29 when Trinity Ruelas and Sam Ayala earned historic individual victories at the Big West Championships in Davis, California. Ruelas became the first female to secure an individual first place finish in the Big West Championship in the history of CSUF’s cross country program.

Sam Ayala clocked in at 23:34.5, which set a new course record as he claimed first place in the men's 8k race.

The Titans began the month with the Highlander Classic hosted by UC Riverside on Oct. 16. The women’s squad earned a first place finish led by Ruelas, who finished with a time of 20:04.7. The men’s squad finished the 8k race with a second place finish led by Ayala’s time of 24:04.

The following week Fullerton hosted a meet at the Titan Track Complex where the women’s team came in second place behind UC Irvine.

The Titans will compete again on Nov. 12 in the NCAA West Regionals at the Haggin Oaks Golf Club in Sacramento Calif.

Women’s volleyball

CSUF women’s volleyball entered October with a 4-6 overall record and a 1-2 record in Big West play. After struggling to find consistency in the first half of the month, the Titans would finish on a strong note heading into November.

Fullerton managed to push conference leaders in Hawaii all the way to a fifth set in their first match of the month, but ultimately fell short, 3-2. However, the Titans broke Hawaii’s 22 set streak against conference opponents in the process.

The Titans would then alternate between wins and losses over the next four matches against CSU Northridge, UC Irvine, UC Santa Barbara and UC San Diego, respectively.

Over the course of their next three matches, Fullerton managed to put together a three game winning streak. The Titans started the streak with a pair of victories in Titan Gym. The first came against UC Davis by a score of 3-1 on Oct. 22, followed by another 3-1 win the following day against UC Riverside.

Fullerton kept the momentum rolling into their next match on the road against Cal Poly San Luis Obispo in a 3-2 victory.

The Titans winning streak would come to a halt the following day in a rematch against the CSU Bakersfield Roadrunners, who they previously defeated 3-1 on Sept. 24. The Roadrunners would redeem their loss by sweeping the Titans the second time around.

CSUF currently sits in sixth place in the Big West standings with a 9-10 overall record and 6-6 in conference play. The month of November will bring on rematches against the rest of the conference before the end of the season.

Women’s soccer

After going 4-8 through the first two months, October served a complete turnaround for CSUF women’s soccer.

After losing to Long Beach at the beginning of the month, the team went on a six game winning streak to close the month and conference play.

The Titans were excellent on defense as they posted a clean sheet in five of six games of the winning streak. The one goal came from their most recent match against UC Riverside where the Titans won, 2-1.

After allowing 16 goals as a team in September, the Titans managed to allow just three goals by their opponents in October.

The winning streak improved the team’s record to end the season at 10-9 overall and 7-3 in conference play. This was enough to propel them to the third seed in the Big West standings, a feat that seemed improbable after their 0-6 start to the season.

For the season, midfielder/forward Callie Petrey-Juarez led the team in goals with eight followed by midfielders Haley Brown and Karla Rodriguez who had six and five, respectively.

The Titans will begin their road to the Big West championship starting with the second seeded Cal Poly SLO in the semifinals this Thursday at Anteater Stadium at 5 p.m. UC Irvine will host the entire tournament, as they are the No. 1 seeded team in the conference.

Men’s soccer

CSUF men’s soccer ended the final month of their season by going 1-6-1 during October.This record came as a surprise after they showed some momentum in the last four games of September, where they went 2-1-1.

In five of the eight games they played in October, they managed to score only a single goal. They were held scoreless in the other three games.

In October, the Titans saw decreases in total saves, points and goals scored compared to September.

Sophomore midfielder Sebastian Cruz and sophomore forward Samuel Owusu ended the season as the team’s leading scorers with seven and five goals, respectively.

Goalkeeper Andrea Bonavia increased the amount of saves from the previous month from 15 saves to 16. However, he also saw a decrease in his save percentage, as it went from .750 in September to .696 in October.

A year without play seems to be a factor to why this team underachieved. Each season under head coach George Kuntz, men’s soccer had at least a .500 win percentage before this season. The Titans will look to get back on track next season.

Men’s and women’s golf

Despite not placing first in a tournament, CSUF men’s golf had its best month as they finished in the top six in the invitationals they participated in. In the Bill Cullum Invitational, they finished in third place with 25-over-par 889.

Women’s golf also placed better in the month as their worst placement was tied for ninth with 51-over-par 915 at the Pat Lesser Harbottle Invitational. They finished in fifth with a 24-over-par 888 at the Rainbow Wahine Invitational, their best placing of the month.

Elina Saksa led the team in scoring in the two invitationals for the Titans, posting scores of nine-over-par 225 and even par 216, respectively.